Double integral finding the area

In summary, we have a double integral to find the area of the region bounded by the curve r= 1+sin(theta). The integral is evaluated from 0 to 2π for theta and 0 to 1+sin(theta) for r. After solving and correcting a minor error, the final answer is 3π/2.
pb23me

Homework Statement

Use a double integral to find the area of the region bounded by the curve r= 1+sin(theta)?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't figure out what theta is intregrated from. I've tried from -(pi)/2 -> +(pi)/2 and that doesn't work. I've also tried from 0-> 2(pi) and that doesn't work. I have no clue what I am supposed to integrate theta to. I would really appreciate some help with this.

Physics news on Phys.org
pb23me said:

Homework Statement

Use a double integral to find the area of the region bounded by the curve r= 1+sin(theta)?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't figure out what theta is integrated from. I've tried from -(pi)/2 -> +(pi)/2 and that doesn't work. I've also tried from 0-> 2(pi) and that doesn't work. I have no clue what I'm supposed to integrate theta to. I would really appreciate some help with this.
Have you done a polar plot?

0 → 2π should give the right answer.

What does your integral look like ?

i put a picture up

Attachments

• IMG00072-20120408-2058.jpg
    IMG00072-20120408-2058.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 998
pb23me said:
i put a picture up
Your integral looks good:
[itex]\displaystyle \int_0^{2\pi}\int_0^{1+\sin(\theta)}r\,dr\,d\theta[/itex]​

What do you get for tour final answer?

I get (3(pi) + 2)/2

pb23me said:
I get (3(pi) + 2)/2
Where does the " + 2 " come from ... as in
(3(π) + 2)/2​
?

What do you get upon integration w.r.t. r ?

Oh I see what I've been doing now. When I evaluated theta at 0 I was getting -2. I forgot to multiply this by 1/2 which would have given me 3(pi)(-2+2)/2 or 3(pi)/2 for my final answer. Thank you so much for all of your help I was stuck on that problem for awhile. :smile:

1. What is a double integral?

A double integral is a mathematical concept used in calculus to find the area under a two-dimensional curve or surface. It involves integrating a function over a specific region in the x-y plane.

2. How is a double integral used to find area?

A double integral is used to find the area of a two-dimensional region by breaking it down into smaller and simpler elements, calculating the area of each element, and then adding them together. The smaller the elements, the more accurate the calculation of the area will be.

3. What is the difference between a single and double integral?

A single integral is used to find the area under a curve in one dimension, while a double integral is used to find the area under a curve or surface in two dimensions. A double integral involves two integration processes, one for each dimension.

4. What is the importance of double integrals in science?

Double integrals are important in science because they are used to calculate the volume, mass, and center of mass of three-dimensional objects. They are also used in many areas of physics, such as calculating the work done by a force or finding the electric field around a charged object.

5. Can double integrals be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, double integrals are commonly used to solve real-world problems in fields such as engineering, physics, economics, and even in everyday life. Some examples include calculating the volume of a water tank, finding the mass of an irregularly shaped object, or determining the probability of an event occurring within a certain area.