Double integral from y to 1 and 0 to 1

In summary, the conversation discusses how to evaluate the integral \int0 to 1\inty to 1\frac{1}{1+x^4}dxdy and suggests switching the order of integration to make it easier to solve. The conversation also mentions sketching the region of integration and finding the limits for the new integral. There is some frustration expressed about material not being covered in class, but it is noted that this can be a good opportunity for self-learning.
Locoism

Homework Statement

Evaluate the integral [itex]\int[/itex]0 to 1[itex]\int[/itex]y to 1[itex]\frac{1}{1+x^4}[/itex]dxdy

The Attempt at a Solution

I managed to do the first one, from y to 1, using partial fractions and then some substitution, and I get a huge answer involving some logarithms and arctans that don't simplify. I've tried putting it into some math software to get an idea of what my answer could look like, but the results are hugh ugly formulas that a human being just couldn't do (or at least not this one). Obviously I am doing something wrong. Is there a way to evaluate without computing the indefinite integrals? Or maybe to switch the x and y somehow? Could it be put into polar form? I really don't know what to do here, I've spent hours computing the first integral only to end up with something harder...

Physics news on Phys.org
Interchange the order of integration. Draw a sketch of the region of integration and figure out the x and y limits you need to do that.

swithing the limits results in the same integral and your answer will be that big ugly thing..i think

nevermind..listen to what Dick said

How do I do that? I sketch 1/(1+x^4) and find what?

Locoism said:
How do I do that? I sketch 1/(1+x^4) and find what?

No, not the function. Sketch the region of integration in the x-y plane. For every value of y, x goes from y to 1. What's the shape of the domain of integration? It's a triangle, isn't it? You want to express the integral dydx instead of dxdy.

oh so the area I'm sketching is the triangle between the line x=y and the x-axis (up to 1). But I don't understand what this integral symbolizes. Am I finding the area in the intersection of that triangle and the function above?

Locoism said:
oh so the area I'm sketching is the triangle between the line x=y and the x-axis (up to 1). But I don't understand what this integral symbolizes. Am I finding the area in the intersection of that triangle and the function above?

That triangle is the region of integration. You know how to go from that triangle to the given double integral expression, right? Now write down another double integral where you integrate over dy first then dx. The opposite order to the given integral. This is called 'changing the order of integration'. You'll find it's a LOT easier to integrate.

Ok thanks I'll figure it out.
*sigh* I love it when assignments include material that hasn't been mentioned in class...

Locoism said:
Ok thanks I'll figure it out.
*sigh* I love it when assignments include material that hasn't been mentioned in class...
It gives you a chance to learn for yourself. That can be a valuable skill to acquire!

What is a double integral?

A double integral is a mathematical concept used in calculus to calculate the volume under a two-dimensional surface. It involves finding the area of a shape formed by two intersecting curves over a certain region.

What does the notation "double integral from y to 1 and 0 to 1" mean?

This notation specifies the limits of integration for a double integral. In this case, the integral is being evaluated over the region between the curves y=1 and y=0, and between the lines x=0 and x=1.

What is the purpose of evaluating a double integral?

Evaluating a double integral allows us to determine the volume under a 2D surface, which has many applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

What are some common methods for evaluating double integrals?

There are several methods for evaluating double integrals, including iterated integration, polar coordinates, and using the properties of symmetry. The method used will depend on the specific problem and the shape of the region being integrated.

What are some real-life examples of double integrals?

Double integrals have many real-world applications, such as calculating the mass of an object with varying density, determining the center of mass of an irregular shape, and finding the average temperature of a region with varying heat distribution.