1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double Integral Limits for a Sideways Rectangle

1. Nov 21, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have to solve the integral of (ytan^-1(x) - 3) inside the area of the rectangle with vertices (1,0), (0,1), (2,3), (3,2). How do I set up these limits?

2. Relevant equations
    This is a tilted rectangle so I can't use just values for the limits?

3. The attempt at a solution
    This is a Green's theorem problem that started out as integral(tan^-1(x)dx + 3xdy). I just can't figure out the limits.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 21, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The parallel lines through (1,0), (3,2) and (0,1),(2,3) are y= x-1 and y= x+ 1, respectively; both are variations on "y-x= constant". The parallel lines through (1,0),(0,1) and (3,2),(2,3) are y= 1-x and y= 5-x, respectively; both are of the form "y+ x= constant. Changing variable to u= y- x and v= y+ x gives an integral with limits of integration in u of -1 to 1 and in v, 1 to 5. Be sure to calculate the Jacobian to convert dxdy.

Have you already calculated the integration around the boundary?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?