1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double integral of volume bounded by plane and paraboloid

1. Sep 26, 2007 #1
    Evaluate the volume of the solid bounded by the plane z=x and the paraboloid z = x^2 + y^2

I have tried to graph this, and they don't bound anything? have i graphed it wrong. and is there a way to do these problems where you don't need to draw the graph.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

They surely do bound something! If the 3-d graph bothers you assume y= 0. Then your graphs are z= x and z= x^2, which intersect at (0,0) and (0,1).
    Letting z= x in z= x^2+ y^2, you get x^2- x+ y^2= x^2- x+ 1/4 + y^2= 1/4 so
    (x-1/2)^2+ y^2= 1/4. In the xy-plane, that's a circle with center at (1/2, 0) and tangent to the y-axis. That's the projection of the actual intersection in the xy-plane.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2007
  4. Sep 27, 2007 #3

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Graphs can be very useful in this type of problem.

z = x is like a ramp that runs the length of the y axis.

What does the parabola equation describe? Can you visualize it?

5. Sep 27, 2007 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

This was also posted in the homework forum. I'm merging it into that thread.

6. Sep 27, 2007 #5
    am i able to change to polar coordinates with the shifted circle? or should i keep it in x y form

let me know if this is correct:
    [tex]\int^{1/2}_{0}\int^{\sqrt{1/4-(x-1/2)^{2}}}_{-\sqrt{1/4-(x-1/2)^{2}}} x^{2} + y^{2} dy dx[/tex]

I think i want to convert to polar form.. but i don't know what to do with the 1/4 inside the ( ) with the x when converting.
    also, is my double integral even correct?

7. Sep 27, 2007 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If it were me, I would convert to polar coordinates. If [itex](x- 1/2)^2+ y^2= 1/4[/itex], then [itex]x^2+ y^2- x+ 1/4= 1/4[/itex] or [itex]x^2+ y^2- x= 0[/itex] so, in polar coordinates [itex]r^2- rcos(\theta)= 0[/itex] and, finally, [itex]r= cos(\theta)[/itex]. Looks nice!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?