Double integral on one function of x and another of y

In summary, the theorem states that if a function is only dependent on a specific y-value, then any integral over that function will be constant.
carlosbgois
Hi there. I think I have proved on little theorem on double integrals, showed below. Are my arguments 'correct' (I mean, rigorous enough)?

Let [itex]f[/itex] be a function of [itex]x, f(x)[/itex], [itex]g[/itex] be a function depending only on [itex]y, g(y)[/itex], and last, let [itex]A[/itex] be the set determined by [itex]a≤x≤b[/itex] and [itex]c≤y≤d[/itex]. By Fubini's theorem, [itex]\int\int_{A}f(x)g(y)dxdy=\int^{d}_{c}[\int^{b}_{a}f(x)g(y)dx]dy.[/itex] Knowing [itex]g[/itex] is a function only dependent on [itex]y[/itex], it is a constant when integrating over x, hence we have [itex]\int^{d}_{c}[g(y)\int^{b}_{a}f(x)dx]dy.[/itex] Still, as [itex]f[/itex] depends only on [itex]x[/itex], so does any integral over [itex]f[/itex], then finally [itex]\int^{d}_{c}g(y)dy \int^{b}_{a}f(x)dx.[/itex]

Many thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
carlosbgois said:
Hi there. I think I have proved on little theorem on double integrals, showed below. Are my arguments 'correct' (I mean, rigorous enough)?

Let [itex]f[/itex] be a function of [itex]x, f(x)[/itex], [itex]g[/itex] be a function depending only on [itex]y, g(y)[/itex], and last, let [itex]A[/itex] be the set determined by [itex]a≤x≤b[/itex] and [itex]c≤y≤d[/itex]. By Fubini's theorem, [itex]\int\int_{A}f(x)g(y)dxdy=\int^{d}_{c}[\int^{b}_{a}f(x)g(y)dx]dy.[/itex] Knowing [itex]g[/itex] is a function only dependent on [itex]y[/itex], it is a constant when integrating over x, hence we have [itex]\int^{d}_{c}[g(y)\int^{b}_{a}f(x)dx]dy.[/itex] Still, as [itex]f[/itex] depends only on [itex]x[/itex], so does any integral over [itex]f[/itex], then finally [itex]\int^{d}_{c}g(y)dy \int^{b}_{a}f(x)dx.[/itex]

Many thanks.

Kudos if you reached this result by yourself, but in fact it follows in a pretty simple way from well known properties of integrals.

DonAntonio

Yes it does follows easily, nice to know it is correct. It can simplify many problems as I was testing just now. Thanks!

What is a double integral on one function of x and another of y?

A double integral on one function of x and another of y is a type of mathematical operation used to calculate the volume under a three-dimensional surface. It involves integrating a function of two variables over a specific region on a coordinate plane.

How is a double integral on one function of x and another of y different from a single integral?

A single integral calculates the area under a curve on a one-dimensional axis, while a double integral calculates the volume under a surface on a two-dimensional plane.

What is the purpose of using a double integral on one function of x and another of y?

A double integral is commonly used in physics and engineering to determine the mass, center of mass, and moments of inertia of an object with a varying density. It is also used in economics to calculate the total value of a production function.

What is the process for solving a double integral on one function of x and another of y?

To solve a double integral, the region on the coordinate plane must be defined, and the function to be integrated must be determined. The integral is then solved using the appropriate integration techniques, such as Fubini's theorem or the substitution method.

What are some real-world applications of a double integral on one function of x and another of y?

Double integrals have many practical applications, including calculating the volume of a solid object, determining the probability of an event in statistics, and finding the center of mass of a three-dimensional object. They are also used in calculating electric and magnetic fields in physics and in optimizing production processes in economics.