Yes, your answer is correct. The integral evaluates to 20.25.

In summary: Your answer is correct, 27/8 is the correct solution. In summary, the integral \int\int xy dxdy over the triangular region D, where D is the region bounded by the x-axis, y-axis, and the line y=3-x, is equal to 27/8. The limits of the outer integral are from 0 to 3 and the inner integral has limits from 0 to 3-y.
simba_
Evaluate

[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\int[/tex] xy dxdy

where D is the triangular region {(x,y) element of R2| x+y <= 3, x >=0, y >= 0}

( You have to work out the limits of the integrals from the region D)
the bit i get confused about in these questions are the limits of the integrals

So i just want to check my answer. I got the limits of the y integral to be (3,0) and the limits of the x integral to be (3,0)

so my answer was 20.25, is that right??

Physics news on Phys.org
That's not right. The region is a triangle bounded by the x-axis, the y-axis and the line y=3-x. You evaluated the region as a square.

What you need to do is put the outer integral with the overall limits (from 0 to 3) and the inner integral with limits that depend on the other parameter (if dx is inside, this would be x goes from 0 to 3-y)

right i see now... thanks

so i put (0,3) on the outer integral and i got 27/8 as my answer then...

I would check again, I think you missed a factor of 2 somewhere.

SS xy dxdy

1/2x2y (sub in 3-y, 0)

= y(9 - 6y + y2)1/2

= (9y - 6y2 + y3)1/2S 1/2(9y - 6y*y + y*y*y)dy

= 1/2((9/2)y*y - 2y*y*y + (1/4)y*y*y*y) sub in (3, 0)

= 27/8 ?

thats how i got it... I am very tired so prone to small mistakes atm, but i cannot find any here. is there something wrong with my process

Last edited:
:redface: My mistake.

1. What is the integral in this statement referring to?

The integral in this statement refers to the mathematical concept of integration, which is a way to find the area under a curve.

2. How is the integral evaluated to 20.25?

The integral is evaluated by using specific mathematical techniques, such as the fundamental theorem of calculus, to find the area under the curve. In this case, the result of the integral is 20.25.

3. What does it mean if the integral evaluates to 20.25?

If the integral evaluates to 20.25, it means that the total area under the curve is equal to 20.25 square units. This can have different interpretations depending on the context of the problem.

4. Can the integral have different values?

Yes, the integral can have different values depending on the function being integrated, the limits of integration, and the method used to evaluate it.

5. How is the value of the integral useful in science?

The value of the integral is useful in science as it allows for the calculation of important quantities such as displacement, velocity, and acceleration. It also plays a crucial role in solving many physics and engineering problems.