How to Find the Limits of Integration for a Double Integral?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
18 replies · 3K views
Math10
Messages
301
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Evaluate the double integral (x+2y)dA, where R is the region in the first quadrant bounded by the circle x^2+y^2=9.

Homework Equations


None.

The Attempt at a Solution


I know how to evaluate the double integral but I just don't know how to find the limits of integration. I know that the radius of the circle is 3.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like you do have an idea. That's right.

For each x, what are the limits of y? You may need to draw the area.
 
Math10 said:

Homework Statement


Evaluate the double integral (x+2y)dA, where R is the region in the first quadrant bounded by the circle x^2+y^2=9.

Homework Equations


None.

The Attempt at a Solution


I know how to evaluate the double integral but I just don't know how to find the limits of integration. I know that the radius of the circle is 3.
How would you describe the region R as a set? IOW, R = {(x, y) | <inequality involving x> and <inequality involving y>}.

If you are tempted to write the inequalities as ##0 \le x \le 3, \text{and } 0 \le y \le 3##, resist that temptation! That region would be a square, which the one in this problem is not.

As I said in another of your threads, many times carrying out the integration is the easy part, requiring very little thinking. Figuring out the limits of integration is often the more difficult task. Your textbook should have a number of examples. Have you looked at them?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Math10
Math10 said:
So y=sqrt(9-x^2) and y= - sqrt(9-x^2)?
Why would y be negative?