Double integration - finding the limits

In summary, the integral in question can be evaluated by using two iterated integrals if integrating with respect to y first, with the limits of x ranging from 0 to 2 and the limits of y ranging from 0 to x in the first integral and from 0 to -x+2 in the second integral. If integrating with respect to x first, only one iterated integral is needed with the limits of x ranging from y to -y+2 and the limits of y ranging from 0 to 1.
PhyStan7
Hello, I am stuck on this double integration question as I am not sure how to get the limits to integrate between. If anyone could give me advice on ways to get limits in general, help would be appreciated.

Homework Statement

Evaluate the following integral

R(xy+cosx)dxdy

where R, the region of integration, is the triangle with vertices at the points

(x,y)=(0,0),(2,0),(1,1)

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so after drawing a diagram it is clear, taking y as the inner integral, that 0<x<2 are the limits to take for x. It can be seen that y must be above 0 so i thought that would be the lower limit but have no idea what the upper limit of y would be. I know that the sides of the shape are y=x and y=-x+2. Would i have to take the triangle as 2 different shapes, where for shape 1 0<y<y=x and shape 2 0<y<y=-x+2 and then add the shapes?

Help would be appreciated, thanks! :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you integrate with respect to y first you will need two iterated integrals, corresponding to the two triangular regions than make up the larger triangular region. In the first iterated integral, y ranges between y = 0 and y = x; in the second integral, y ranges between y = 0 and y = -x + 2. The limits for integration in both integrals is x = 0 to x = 2.

If you integrate with respect to x first, you don't need two iterated integrals. The limits on the inner integral are x = y to x = -y + 2. The limits on the outer integral are y = 0 to y = 1.

Hope that helps.

1. What is double integration and why is it important in science?

Double integration is a mathematical technique used to find the area under a curve in a two-dimensional space. In science, it is important because it allows us to calculate important quantities such as volume, mass, and energy.

2. How do you find the limits for a double integration problem?

The limits for a double integration problem are determined by the boundaries of the two-dimensional space being analyzed. These boundaries are typically given in the problem or can be determined by graphing the function.

3. What are the steps for solving a double integration problem?

The steps for solving a double integration problem are as follows: 1) Determine the limits of integration, 2) Set up the double integral, 3) Evaluate the inner integral, 4) Evaluate the outer integral, and 5) Simplify the final answer, if necessary.

4. Can double integration be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, double integration can be used to solve real-world problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. It allows us to calculate important quantities and make predictions based on mathematical models.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using double integration?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using double integration include forgetting to change the limits of integration when switching the order of integration, not simplifying the final answer, and not properly setting up the double integral with the correct limits and integrands.