Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double integration using polar coordinates

1. May 7, 2008 #1
    Ok, got a few small problems. Just gaps in my knowledge I suppose, wonder if anyone can help.

A bit stuck on how to work out the limits for theta. Everything else is fine, it's just that. I know if it says in the first quadrant that it's pi/2 and 0 but thats a really basic one, everything above that, no clue.

Beta function formula for anything that isn't from 0 to pi/2 :( I don't understand what number you multiply it by. Normal beta function is fine, just that.

Think thats it for now. Help would be greatly appreciated :)

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2008 #2

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

it sounds like you are trying to memorize a formula for every situation, always useless.

try picturing what the polkar coord map does to a rectangle 0 < r < A, 0 < theta < B, when mapping it to the x,y plane by sending (r,theta) to (rcostheta, rsintheta).

4. May 7, 2008 #3
    Uh, I'm not sure what you mean. Could you be a bit more explicit? Just so you know, I'm not taking maths any further, so I am really just trying to memorise things so I can pass the exam

5. May 7, 2008 #4
    I think what mathwonk is saying is that you should draw a picture of what is happening and realize where the bounds occur. Simply memorizing situations will illy prepare you for anything. There is not really a set pattern you follow to find the bounds, even your first quadran = pi/2 can be wrong if given the right problem.

Even if you do not plan to take more mathematics, you shouldn't plan to stop thinking critically.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?