1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double integration with cos x^2

1. Nov 4, 2007 #1
    ok so I have the problem ycos(x^2)dxdy with parameters dx=y^2 to 1 and dx=0 to 1
    the first problem I have is integrating cos with respect to x^2. is it a double angle identity? the second is how do I go further if Y^2 gets added into the mix later?
    The attempts I have made have made me even more confused than before. I looked up how I could integrate cos x^2 and could not find a clear answer.
    Help is appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2007 #2

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Did you copy the limits of integration correctly?
    Should it be x going from y^2 to 1 and then y going from 0 to 1?

4. Nov 4, 2007 #3
    What is the identity of cosx^2? if you don't know then look it up in your book.

5. Nov 5, 2007 #4

Gib Z

Homework Helper

It can't be expressed in terms of elementary functions, look up the Cosine Fresnel integral for the solution.

6. Nov 5, 2007 #5

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not so fast.
    Try reparametrizing your region of integration. If you first integrate wrt y, then wrt x you may find a solution. (Hint: You will).

7. Nov 5, 2007 #6

Gib Z

Homework Helper

O sorry I should have read the whole question, Mainly just read post 3 and replied to that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?