Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Double integration with cos x^2

1. Nov 4, 2007 #1
    ok so I have the problem ycos(x^2)dxdy with parameters dx=y^2 to 1 and dx=0 to 1
    the first problem I have is integrating cos with respect to x^2. is it a double angle identity? the second is how do I go further if Y^2 gets added into the mix later?
    The attempts I have made have made me even more confused than before. I looked up how I could integrate cos x^2 and could not find a clear answer.
    Help is appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2007 #2

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Did you copy the limits of integration correctly?
    Should it be x going from y^2 to 1 and then y going from 0 to 1?

4. Nov 4, 2007 #3
    What is the identity of cosx^2? if you don't know then look it up in your book.

5. Nov 5, 2007 #4

Gib Z

Homework Helper

It can't be expressed in terms of elementary functions, look up the Cosine Fresnel integral for the solution.

6. Nov 5, 2007 #5

Galileo

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Not so fast.
    Try reparametrizing your region of integration. If you first integrate wrt y, then wrt x you may find a solution. (Hint: You will).

7. Nov 5, 2007 #6

Gib Z

Homework Helper

O sorry I should have read the whole question, Mainly just read post 3 and replied to that.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook