1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double Major, or Major+Minor?

1. Jul 14, 2008 #1
    I am a 2nd year Aerospace Engineering student, and have to make a decision soon on what path I am going to take. My initial decision was to do a double major in Aerospace/Mechanical Eng. ( my school offers the double major ), but recently I have been thinking about doing a Aero Major with a minor in either Mathematics/Physics. Ultimately, I would like a job in the aerospace industry, but know that jobs are hard to come by and I don't go to a top 10-15 school, so it'd probably be even harder for me. This may lead me to end up getting a job doing Mechanical Engineering. Does anyone have any input as to which path I should take? The double major adds another semester ( which I'm fine with ), while the minors I'd be able to squeeze in with the 4-year program. Any help/guidance I can get with this would be greatly appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2008 #2
    Pesonally, I would go for the double major. Having another BS is much better than a minor for sure. It will create a lot of flexibility to you, in case you can't find a job in the Aerospace Industry. As you stated yourself, the double major will require additional work, so it will look good on a resume
  4. Jul 18, 2008 #3
    Don't let the structure of a minor or additional major hold you back. Take the classes you find interesting and related to what you want to do. After you receive a BS everything else is just trophy baggin. Take that adv. physics class you think is interesting or 'cool', or a couple of mechanical eng classes that seem applicable. Math classes always help out in the business world and maybe take a statistics or two if you don't already have them. Feel like you can take the 'best' classes in a field vs. achieving another line on your resume.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?