Double Majoring: Can I do Math & Physics?

• Programs
  • Thread starter Universe_Man
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, ambitious students can pursue a double major in college, such as Math and Physics, but there is not much overlap between the two majors. While there may be some shared courses in the first two years, the last two years have little to no overlap. However, depending on the university, there may be joint degree plans or programs within the math major that can incorporate physics coursework. It is important to talk to other students and advisors to create a feasible plan for completing a double major.
Universe_Man
I heard that some ambitious people can pursue a double major in college. I think I would want to do something like that and do Math and Physics. Since these are closely related to each other, would I only need to take a few extra courses to do it, depending on the University I attend?

Physics news on Phys.org
Math and physics actually share few requisites in college. For the first year, it will probably be very much the same (Multivariate calculus, linear algebra, etc), but starting sophomore year, and especially junior/senior year, the classes required for each are very different. There's a lot of focus on mathematical proof in the math major, and almost no focus on it in physics.

Physics and engineering majors tend to overlap a lot better.

Universe_Man said:
I heard that some ambitious people can pursue a double major in college. I think I would want to do something like that and do Math and Physics. Since these are closely related to each other, would I only need to take a few extra courses to do it, depending on the University I attend?

freshman year there will be overlap with calculus, linear algebra, DE and the basic physics courses.

later on, there will be little to no overlap.

if you're going to do a math/physics double, do it now

I'm also doing a math and physics double major. I just got out of High school and I'm not too familiar with the Physics requirements. I have Differential Equations, Calculus I, and Calculus II credit so far. What sort of courses are usually taken by physics students for undergrad?

Physics undergrads take courses on statistical mechanics, thermodynamics, quantum mechanics, nuclear and particle physics, electromagnetism, and so on.

Math undegrads take courses on differential equations, proofs, real and complex analysis, and so on.

The last two years of each program certainly have no overlap, but the first two will share a few courses.

- Warren

I will be heading into college this fall, and I'm thinking about double majoring in physics and math. And there is not much overlap in the last two years. I was pretty hard pressed to figure out a four-year plan for myself. I think I have maybe 3 elective classes in my four years.

But as long as you love both subjects and are willing to work hard, you should do fine. I know I am excited about going to college.

I disagree, Physics/Maths has a lot of overlap throughout all years I think. For example I'm a maths/physics major in my second year, and I've taken a course on advanced calculus, with manifolds, lie groups, etc...

This pops up again in my theoretical physics classes...

SeReNiTy said:
I disagree, Physics/Maths has a lot of overlap throughout all years I think. For example I'm a maths/physics major in my second year, and I've taken a course on advanced calculus, with manifolds, lie groups, etc...

This pops up again in my theoretical physics classes...

Can you post the curriculum for both degrees at your school? What classes overlap in the third and fourth years?

It's rare that physics students have to take, e.g., proofs, and it's rare that math students have to take, e.g., electromagnetism.

- Warren

I think chroot is right..and..even if a physics program needs lost of math its different then what math majors usually take. In third year I have to take complex variables..math majors take complex analysis...physics majors take Introductory real analysis..math majors take "Real Analysis I". The only things that overlap at UofT is the introductory differential geometry and topology.

Alright, what I was thinking was that the same classes were required in both majors. But topics in the upper level math courses are found in physics, and in that way overlap.

In my school, Physics and Maths share over one third of their classes. It is very hard to finish them in 4 years with regular time table. Though, a lot of people follow this path and become mathematical Physicist (or Physical Mathematician...lol )

I know a guy who is dual BS Physics/BS Math in 4 years, plus some graduate physics and math courses along the way. It makes some sense considering that professors with joint appointments in physics and math (due to their theoretical research into things like string theory, which are arguably both math and physics) are becoming more common.

Suprisingly it's easier when you are able to waive those classes that are in common (like Calc I and II, etc) because you've had them in high school, so you have more time to devote to core major stuff.

But, it is at least a feasible course of action isn't it? I have one more year until I enter college, I just want to make sure that it is possible to do such a thing. As I understand it, a lot of universities also have 5 year plans where you can get a double major or degree.

Are there joint degree plans at a graduate level as well?

Actually, many universities require you to do a specific number of units in order to receive a double major -- simply doing all the classes for each major won't cut it. The reason? They don't want you to get two degrees in two very closely related fields without actually taking a significantly larger number of classes (and thus paying them a significantly larger amount of tuition). Many schools will require you to do an additional year to get a double.

- Warren

I would talk to other physics majors at your school. At the school I attend almost every physics major I know is double majoring in Physics and Applied Math, but the applied math program here has a lot of freedom, and there are only two "proof" classes required for the applied math degree, one of which is already required for physics majors. Depends on the school.

See if your school offers special programs within being a math major. I knwo that at our school, a math major can focus their math education in combination with electrical science, physics, and a few others.

I find one major hard enough!

It'll be easier if you join a school that offers Math and Physics dual major degree that can be completed in 4 years.

Okay, I will be sure to do that. Thanks for the input

I don't mind doing more than 4 years of school for a double major if I have to, I enjoy school. It helps me keep life organized.

Having completed a double major in math and physics at UCLA, there is little overlap of actual classes, but a great deal of overlap in how topics relate to each other. I took DE and PDE before taking QM, and sailed through QM. Both usually require some kind of complex analysis. Real analysis has some use in physics, but not a lot until you start to generalize real analysis vis a vis functional analysis. Upper division algebra is more useful when you get into graduate physics and deal with group theory in physics. Linear algebra is always useful.

i am a double major. i have found that, though there are significantly more math classes in the math major, it is not so diffcult to do. this is primarily due to the fact that any major leaves room for electives. if you take your electives in math, then you are still killing two birds with one shot, though the same core classes may not overlap. furthermore, if you are intending on attending grad school, you will find that the math classes will help you tremendously. group theory is of the utmost importance in theoretical physics, but requires knowledge of modern (abstract) algebra, which is typically not required of a physics major. hope that helps.

1. Can I double major in math and physics?

Yes, it is possible to double major in math and physics. Many universities offer this option and it is a popular choice among students interested in pursuing careers in fields such as engineering, research, or academia.

2. What are the benefits of double majoring in math and physics?

Double majoring in math and physics allows students to gain a strong foundation in both fields and develop a diverse set of skills. This can make them more competitive in the job market and open up a wider range of career opportunities.

3. Is double majoring in math and physics difficult?

Double majoring in math and physics can be challenging, as both fields require a strong aptitude for math and analytical thinking. However, with proper time management and dedication, it is possible to successfully complete both majors.

4. How long does it take to complete a double major in math and physics?

The time it takes to complete a double major in math and physics varies depending on the university and the individual student's course load. On average, it may take an additional year or two beyond the typical four-year undergraduate degree.

5. Are there any prerequisites for double majoring in math and physics?

Some universities may have specific prerequisites for double majoring in math and physics, such as a certain GPA or completion of certain courses. It is important to research the requirements of each department and plan accordingly to ensure a smooth and successful double major experience.