Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Double Slit Diffraction Problem

1. Nov 13, 2014 #1
    I had this problem on my exam and I was pretty sure i knew what to do but it couldn't come up with the right answers.
    I diagrammed the problem and showed the way i tried to solve it in blue. Can someone tell me where i went wrong?
    W6xA170.png

Basically i found the length the of the first maximum off the center. i used Pythagorean's theorem to find D2. Then subtracted the two distances to find the difference. I then took the arctan of that distance divided by D1.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You way over-thought the problem.
    Start from the physics: what is the condition that makes a maximum?

4. Nov 13, 2014 #3
    the center of a maximum is complete constructive interference from two rays of light?

5. Nov 13, 2014 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

... good - so what is the condition for constructive interference in terms of the path lengths?

6. Nov 13, 2014 #5
    wouldn't it be the wavelength plus by any integer being multiplied by the wavelength?

7. Nov 13, 2014 #6

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Almost: the path difference has to be a whole number of wavelengths for constructive interference.
    This makes the central maximum the zeroth maximum ... with the 1st and second etc on either side of it.

Lets say D is the perpendicular distance from the slits to the screen - as it is in your diagram.
    If D>>d, the path difference between the zeroth maximum and the nth maximum is ##D_n-D=d\sin\theta_n##
    You've seen a formula like that before.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook