Double Slit Diffraction Problem

• Thread starter spitonem
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

I had this problem on my exam and I was pretty sure i knew what to do but it couldn't come up with the right answers.
I diagrammed the problem and showed the way i tried to solve it in blue. Can someone tell me where i went wrong?
W6xA170.png

Basically i found the length the of the first maximum off the center. i used Pythagorean's theorem to find D2. Then subtracted the two distances to find the difference. I then took the arctan of that distance divided by D1.

Answers and Replies

Simon Bridge
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
You way over-thought the problem.
Start from the physics: what is the condition that makes a maximum?

the center of a maximum is complete constructive interference from two rays of light?

Simon Bridge
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
the center of a maximum is complete constructive interference from two rays of light?
... good - so what is the condition for constructive interference in terms of the path lengths?

wouldn't it be the wavelength plus by any integer being multiplied by the wavelength?

Simon Bridge
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
wouldn't it be the wavelength plus by any integer being multiplied by the wavelength?
Almost: the path difference has to be a whole number of wavelengths for constructive interference.
This makes the central maximum the zeroth maximum ... with the 1st and second etc on either side of it.

Lets say D is the perpendicular distance from the slits to the screen - as it is in your diagram.
If D>>d, the path difference between the zeroth maximum and the nth maximum is ##D_n-D=d\sin\theta_n##
You've seen a formula like that before.