Double slit experiment problem help

In summary: Sin 1.7 oops. The first one is wrong then, the second one is right. Well, what can m range over? The first dark fringe is the 1st-order fringe.Plus, I ran your numbers, wrong though they are, and got a very different number for lambda.I think the formula is D sinθ = (m - 1/2)λEDIT: Plus is the angle 1.7 or 1.17 degrees?Well if your calculator is set to radians, how are you hoping to get the sin of 1.7 degrees ?Sin 1.7 oops. The first one is wrong then, the second one is right. In summary,
MarcL

Homework Statement

Two narrow slits are .6 mm apart. The dark fringe of order 1 is 1.7 degrees from the central bright fringe. What is the wavelength of the light?

Homework Equations

D sinθ = (m + 1/2)λ --> chosen because it was destructive
m= order
d= distance between slit

The Attempt at a Solution

.6 (sin 1.7) = (1.5)λ
(6*10^-4)(sin1.7) /(1.5)=λ

I get , in nm ( after multiplying the answer I get 1*10^9) and I get an answer of 396666 nm. I plugged it in a few times in my calculator and I keep getting that answer. The website keeps saying it is wrong too, so I'm kinda lost

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
MarcL said:

Homework Statement

Two narrow slits are .6 mm apart. The dark fringe of order 1 is 1.7 degrees from the central bright fringe. What is the wavelength of the light?

Homework Equations

D sinθ = (m + 1/2)λ --> chosen because it was destructive
m= order
d= distance between slit

The Attempt at a Solution

.6 (sin 1.17) = (1.5)λ
(6*10^-4)(sin1.17) /(1.5)=λ

I get , in nm ( after multiplying the answer I get 1*10^9) and I get an answer of 396666 nm. I plugged it in a few times in my calculator and I keep getting that answer. The website keeps saying it is wrong too, so I'm kinda lost

I think the formula is D sinθ = (m - 1/2)λ

EDIT: Plus is the angle 1.7 or 1.17 degrees?

Well, what can m range over? The first dark fringe is the 1st-order fringe.

Plus, I ran your numbers, wrong though they are, and got a very different number for lambda.

PeterO said:
I think the formula is D sinθ = (m - 1/2)λ

Depends on the range of m ...

Well I don't think it is ( I was re-checking my notes and book ) but even if it was the answer is still wrong so I'm messing up somewhere :/

MarcL said:
Well I don't think it is ( I was re-checking my notes and book ) but even if it was the answer is still wrong so I'm messing up somewhere :/

Did you notice my edit? is the angle 1.7 or 1.17 degrees?

Well I just ran it again and, again, I got 3.97 * 10^5 nm again ( or 3.97 *^10^-4 m)

Oh sorry it is 1.7 oops, I plugged in 1.7 in my calculator.I must've done a typo I'm sorry!

MarcL said:
Well I just ran it again and, again, I got 3.97 * 10^5 nm again ( or 3.97 *^10^-4 m)

Is that correct or incorrect ?

What happens if you you use your formula and m = 0 ?

What happens if you use my formula with m = 1 ?

MarcL said:

Is your calculator set to radians or degrees ? [just grasping at straws]

Radians :).

Plus if I use my formula with 0, I would get (6*10^-4)(sin 1.7)/ .5 = 1.19 *10^-3 m --> 1.19*10^-6 nm ( still wrong) and using your formula I get... the same thing because 1- 1/2 gives me .5 still... no?

MarcL said:

Plus if I use my formula with 0, I would get (6*10^-4)(sin 1.7)/ .5 = 1.19 *10^-3 m --> 1.19*10^-6 nm ( still wrong) and using your formula I get... the same thing because 1- 1/2 gives me .5 still... no?

Time to replace the battery in your calculator? The expression above is correct - both of them!

MarcL said:

Well if your calculator is set to radians, how are you hoping to get the sin of 1.7 degrees ?

1. What is the double slit experiment?

The double slit experiment is a classic experiment used to demonstrate the wave-particle duality of light. It involves shining a beam of light through two parallel slits and observing the pattern that is created on a screen behind the slits.

2. What is the problem with the double slit experiment?

The problem with the double slit experiment is that it produces an interference pattern, which suggests that light behaves like a wave. However, when the experiment is repeated with a detector at one of the slits, the interference pattern disappears, indicating that light behaves like a particle. This contradiction is known as the wave-particle duality problem.

3. How does the double slit experiment relate to quantum mechanics?

The double slit experiment is a fundamental experiment in quantum mechanics because it demonstrates the concept of wave-particle duality, which is a central principle in quantum physics. It also highlights the role of observation and measurement in determining the behavior of particles.

4. How has the double slit experiment been explained?

The double slit experiment has been explained through various interpretations of quantum mechanics, such as the Copenhagen interpretation and the Many-Worlds interpretation. These interpretations attempt to reconcile the contradictory behavior of particles in the experiment by proposing different explanations for the role of observation and measurement.

5. What are the implications of the double slit experiment?

The implications of the double slit experiment are significant in the field of quantum mechanics and have sparked ongoing debates and discussions about the nature of reality. The experiment challenges our classical understanding of the world and raises questions about the fundamental nature of particles and the role of consciousness in shaping reality. It also has practical applications in fields such as quantum computing and cryptography.