Double-slit with semi-transparence

In summary, the conversation discusses the double-slit experiment and whether the particles/waves hitting the screen can be considered a measurement. The conversation also explores the possibility of using a semi-transparent wall and a second screen in the experiment and what the resulting patterns would look like. The expert explains that a semi-transparent screen would cause the usual interference pattern to appear, but with some blurring due to the amount of light being scattered. The conversation also touches on the complexity of screens in quantum mechanics and how they can be simplified to give a classical result.
Pizza
Hi,

I have a little question about the double-slit experiment, if this is the right place here, the right category?

When the particles/waves are hitting the wall (the screen): Is that a mesurement as well? I would say Yes, it is, but would like to here a confirmation or a correction.

And --sorry, actually a two part question-- if so, have there been experiments with a semi transparent wall as well with a second wall just behind? And if so, what did the second picture looks like?

Sorry for my poor English. I did not read every thread before, so maybe this is a double question.

Physics news on Phys.org
When the particles/waves are hitting the wall (the screen): Is that a mesurement as well? I would say Yes, it is, but would like to here a confirmation or a correction.
Yes.
The particles striking the screen are having their position measured, after having been filtered by position earlier.
The barrier with slit(s) provides a measurement of the component of position in the plane of the barrier.

have there been experiments with a semi transparent wall as well with a second wall just behind? And if so, what did the second picture looks like?
Pretty much every possible configuration you can think of has been tested.
But I'm not sure I understand what you mean here ... do you mean, what is the result if the barrier the slits are in is semi-transparent?
i.e. cut slits in the glass from a tinted window.

Then you get the effect you'd normally have from slits in a barrier added to the effect you'd normally get just from the tinted glass without slits.
You should be able to figure out what that looks like :)

Likes Pizza
Simon Bridge said:
do you mean, what is the result if the barrier the slits are in is semi-transparent?
i.e. cut slits in the glass from a tinted window.
No, I meant if the screen is semi-tansparent. So, there is a barrier (non-transparent) with 2 slits (transparent), then a screen (semi-transparent) and then another screen (non-transparent).

But I imagine, the picture on the last screen would be similar to the first one. Nevertheless an experiment is better than imagination...

What you get depends on the exact nature of the semi-transparency... say, lightly frosted glass?
The usual interference pattern appears on the semi-transparent one... probably a bit dimmer due to less light being scattered (you understand what screen's do right?).

The transmitted light, in this example, woyld also be scattered.In which case you get, at best, a blurred version of the interference pattern on the final screen. The extent of the blurring depends on the amount of frosting. The pattern would be appropriate for the screen position.

You should be able to reason it out for other kinds of screen combination now.

Screens are actually very complicated in QM... but the effects all average out to give the classical result to a very high degree of accuracy: so it is safe to follow the classical description for them.
Though you could postilate a 1st screen which is basically a random grid of holes on the same scale as the wavelength of the particles...

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Pizza
Simon Bridge said:
... a random grid of holes on the same scale as the wavelength of the particles...
That sounds very interesting, I can't even begin to imagine the result.

Likes Pizza
Thank you for your answer.

What will happen then, in the last case?

For the extreme case I am thinking of, the quantum effects would basically "wash out".
You'd get the classical result...

You can get very complicated interference patterns though.

Likes Pizza

1. What is the double-slit with semi-transparence experiment?

The double-slit with semi-transparence experiment is a thought experiment that demonstrates the wave-particle duality of light. It involves shining a single beam of light through a semi-transparent material with two narrow slits, creating an interference pattern on a screen behind the slits.

2. How does the double-slit with semi-transparence experiment support the wave theory of light?

The interference pattern observed in the double-slit with semi-transparence experiment can only be explained by the wave nature of light. When the light passes through the two slits, it diffracts and creates a pattern of light and dark bands, similar to the pattern created by two overlapping waves. This supports the idea that light behaves like a wave.

3. What is the significance of the double-slit with semi-transparence experiment in quantum mechanics?

The double-slit with semi-transparence experiment is a fundamental experiment in quantum mechanics that challenges our understanding of the behavior of particles. It shows that particles, like light, can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like properties, depending on how they are observed.

4. How does the double-slit with semi-transparence experiment demonstrate the particle nature of light?

The double-slit with semi-transparence experiment also supports the particle nature of light. When the experiment is repeated with a detector placed at one of the slits, it is found that the light behaves like individual particles, passing through only one slit and creating two distinct bands on the screen. This shows that light can also behave like particles.

5. What are some real-world applications of the double-slit with semi-transparence experiment?

The double-slit with semi-transparence experiment has led to significant advancements in technology, such as the development of diffraction gratings used in optical instruments. It has also been used to study the behavior of other particles, such as electrons, and has implications in fields such as quantum computing and cryptography.