Doubt about Implicit differentiation

In summary: I am going to try and look into this a little more and might have some more resources for you later. In summary, the paper discussed how implicit differentiation can be used to differentiate between different functions with different arguments.
vineethbs
Hi all,

I was reading a paper in which implicit differentiation was used as follows

[tex] x \in R, \lambda \in R [/tex]
Given [tex] G(x,\lambda) = 0 [/tex]
[tex] \frac{\partial G(x,\lambda)}{\partial x} \frac{\partial x}{\partial \lambda} + \frac{\partial G(x,\lambda)}{\partial \lambda} = 0 [/tex]

My doubt is related to whether it is possible to do this even if x is say a function from R to R and G is therefore a functional. Is there a implicit differentiation rule for functionals ?

Thanks for your time !

Physics news on Phys.org
I am a little unsure of your question.

x is a function from R to R since it is a function of lamda.
What do you mean by functional?

That is the most simple example of implicit differentiation possible. If anything is wrong with i, all implicit differentiation is wrong. There is an analogous calculus for funtionals,, but it is not needed in this case. A functional is a function that takes another function as its argument. So true that
y|->F(y(x),x)
2x|->sin(2x)
x^2|->x^2+1
f(x)|->3*f(5)
f(x)|->0
f|->g(f(x))
are functionals they only use information at a single point thus no complications arise.

The chain rule
[g(f(x))]'=g'(f(x))f'(x)
is another example since g is a functional.

wofsy said:
I am a little unsure of your question.

x is a function from R to R since it is a function of lamda.
What do you mean by functional?
Sorry about the confusion. Yes, x is an implicit function of \lamba , but the idea is that x(\lambda) is a family of functions paramterized by \lambda

lurflurf said:
If anything is wrong with i, all implicit differentiation is wrong.

Sorry but what is "i" ? I did not understand what this means.

There is an analogous calculus for funtionals,, but it is not needed in this case.
Why is it not needed if x is a function ? And could you please point me to some easy references on calculus for functionals ?

Thank you !

1. What is implicit differentiation?

Implicit differentiation is a mathematical method used to find the derivative of an equation that is not explicitly expressed in terms of one variable. This often occurs when the equation involves both x and y variables, making it difficult to solve for y in terms of x.

2. Why is implicit differentiation used?

Implicit differentiation is used when it is not possible or practical to solve for y in terms of x. It allows us to find the derivative of an equation without explicitly solving for one variable, making it a useful tool in many real-world applications.

3. How is implicit differentiation different from explicit differentiation?

In explicit differentiation, we are able to solve for y in terms of x and then take the derivative using standard differentiation rules. Implicit differentiation, on the other hand, allows us to find the derivative of an equation without explicitly solving for one variable, making use of the chain rule and implicit differentiation rule.

4. What are some common mistakes when using implicit differentiation?

One common mistake when using implicit differentiation is forgetting to use the chain rule. Since we are taking the derivative with respect to x, any y terms must be multiplied by dy/dx. It is also important to carefully keep track of which variables are dependent on which, as this can affect the use of the chain rule.

5. How is implicit differentiation related to related rates problems?

Related rates problems involve finding the rate of change of one variable with respect to another. Implicit differentiation can be used to find this rate of change by taking the derivative of an equation with respect to time and solving for the desired variable. This allows us to solve problems involving changing rates, such as rates of growth or decay.