Doubts regarding semiconductors

In summary, when a pn junction diode is reverse biased with a voltage greater than or equal to the breakdown voltage, it will behave similarly to a zener diode. The voltage drop will be determined by the reverse characteristic curve, but there is a risk of damage to the diode. The use of a series resistance can help regulate the output voltage, but power dissipation must also be taken into consideration.
Chaitanya V
What would happen if in reverse bias of a pn junction diode voltage greater than/equal to breakdown voltage is applied?

Consider a zener diode with breakdown voltage 3V(just take as example).If we directly connect it with a voltage supply of 4V what would happen?I read that voltage across zener diode remains constant after breakdown. It means if we connect the 3V zener diode to 4V supply a potential drop of 3V would occur across zener diode, then what about the remaining 1V, where would it drop?If I am wrong and istead of 3V, whole 4V drops across zener then how could it give us constant DC voltage as it would change above breakdown?How could the zener diode be used then as a voltage regulator?

Please explain in detail I am having a lot of confusions regarding semiconductor devices specially in pn junction diodes.

Thank You.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not an expert but here's what I think will happen..There will be some internal resistance associated with the voltage source. If it is sufficiently high, that remaining 1V will be the drop across this internal resistance. If it is very low, then you'll have almost 4V across the zener. For a practical zener, the v-i graph is not a vertical straight line after the breakdown region, but a curve. So, on that curve, whatever the current is at V=4V(almost), will flow through the circuit. It will be very very high and can damage the diode.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRSdwb9MvgQuhhdtXh3GD_aEr52amC1HDzKgsPrf4REyTl12mEKkUmIb7zW.jpg

Last edited:
Likes CWatters
cnh1995 said:
I'm not an expert but here's what I think will happen..There will be some internal resistance associated with the voltage source. If it is sufficiently high, that remaining 1V will be the drop across this internal resistance. If it is very low, then you'll have almost 4V across the zener. For a practical zener, the v-i graph is not a vertical straight line after the breakdown region, but a curve. So, on that curve, whatever the current is at V=4V(almost), will flow through the circuit. It will be very very high and can damage the diode.
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRSdwb9MvgQuhhdtXh3GD_aEr52amC1HDzKgsPrf4REyTl12mEKkUmIb7zW.jpg
Thanks for the help.
But then how could zener diode be used as voltage regulator because for different input voltage the output would be different?

Chaitanya V said:
Thanks for the help.
But then how could zener diode be used as voltage regulator because for different input voltage the output would be different?
In that case, there is a resistane in series with the source.

upload_2016-2-21_13-9-16.png

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTHM0PskEHdv-Fg4Jzb0-JrVpfjZ1Kt0RsKMFdeDV-tClVxvipp.png

Attachments

• upload_2016-2-21_13-6-11.png
    upload_2016-2-21_13-6-11.png
    4.4 KB · Views: 382
cnh1995 said:
In that case, there is a resistane in series with the source.

View attachment 96229

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTHM0PskEHdv-Fg4Jzb0-JrVpfjZ1Kt0RsKMFdeDV-tClVxvipp.png
Thank You very much.
Could you please answer the first question?thats only the doubt remaining in my mind now.
"What would happen if in reverse bias of a pn junction diode voltage greater than/equal to breakdown voltage is applied?"

Last edited:
Chaitanya V said:
"What would happen if in reverse bias of a pn junction diode voltage greater than/equal to breakdown voltage is applied?"
It will behave almost in the same manner as the zener does. Current will be determined by the reverse characteristic curve. The only difference is a pn juction diode is more likely to be damaged in reverse breakdown than the zener(which is "designed" to operate in the reverse breakdown mode).

Last edited:
One problem associated with Zener or Avalanche breakdown of a diode is that the voltage drop is high and P = IV so the power dissipation limit (which must be relevant) will dictate a much lower safe current than for forward biassed operation.

1. What are semiconductors and how do they work?

Semiconductors are materials that have properties between those of conductors and insulators. They are used in electronic devices to control the flow of electricity. They work by having a small band gap between their valence and conduction bands, allowing them to conduct electricity under certain conditions.

2. What are the main types of semiconductors?

The two main types of semiconductors are intrinsic and extrinsic. Intrinsic semiconductors are pure materials, such as silicon or germanium, and their properties can be altered by adding impurities through a process called doping. Extrinsic semiconductors are doped with impurities to change their electrical properties, and can be either n-type (with added electrons) or p-type (with added holes).

3. What are the applications of semiconductors?

Semiconductors have a wide range of applications in electronic devices, such as transistors, diodes, and integrated circuits. They are also used in solar cells, LEDs, and sensors. The development of semiconductors has greatly contributed to the advancements in technology and the digital age.

4. How do temperature and doping affect the behavior of semiconductors?

The behavior of semiconductors is greatly influenced by temperature and doping. As temperature increases, the conductivity of a semiconductor also increases. Doping can either increase or decrease the conductivity of a semiconductor, depending on the type and amount of impurities added.

5. What are the limitations of using semiconductors in electronic devices?

One of the main limitations of using semiconductors in electronic devices is their sensitivity to temperature. As mentioned before, the conductivity of a semiconductor is greatly affected by temperature, which can cause issues in device performance. Another limitation is the size and complexity of manufacturing semiconductors, which can make them expensive and difficult to produce.