Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Down sampling, bandpass sampling theorem, downconversion

1. Nov 29, 2011 #1
    I'm trying to demodulate simple AM by using an ADC and the bandpass sampling theorem (as I understand it.) The way I understand the theorem is that by sampling a bandpass signal of frequency f[itex]_{0}[/itex] and bandwidth B, where f[itex]_{0}[/itex] >> B, as long as I use a sampling frequency of >2B I can reproduce the signal even though the sampling frequency is much less than f[itex]_{0}[/itex].
    From what I've read, to accomplish the bandwidth of the ADC must be at least f[itex]_{0}[/itex]. I'm not sure exactly what this means. Does it only mean the input to the ADC must not attenuate a signal of f[itex]_{0}[/itex]? Or are they referring to the sampling aperture. I see the formula use to demonstrate the concept is m[n] = M(t)δ (t-nTs). But i realize that δ is instantaneous where as a ADC is not, so I'm wondering if the width of my sample needs to be around 1/f[itex]_{0}[/itex]?

If anyone can lend some insight I'd appreciate the help.
    Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 4, 2011 #2

marcusl

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, that is correct.
    I don't understand your question.

Bandpass sampling is somewhat sophisticated, and requires different filtration than regular baseband sampling to achieve a good SNR. I fear that a couple of short answers on this forum won't give you a deep enough understanding of sampling, filtration and DSP. Have you had a course in DSP? Do you have a DSP text to read?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook