Geometric Mean vs. Arithmetic Mean in Bandpass Filters

In summary, the geometric mean is used to define the center frequency of a bandpass filter because it takes into account the reciprocal frequencies and creates a geometric-mean symmetry, which is more accurate when plotted on a logarithmic frequency scale. The arithmetic mean would not accurately represent the center frequency on a logarithmic scale, as shown by the example of two corner frequencies at 1Hz and 100Hz.
JJBladester
Gold Member
Why is the geometric mean used to define the center frequency of a bandpass filter instead of the arithmetic mean?

I read in this book that

1. All the lowpass elements yield LC pairs that resonate at ω = 1.
2. Any point of the lowpass response is transformed into a pair of points of the bandpass filter. The frequencies of the pair of points are reciprocals. This means that, after frequency scaling, we can write

[tex]f_{0}=\sqrt{f_{1}f_{2}}[/tex]

where f1 and f2 are the scaled frequncies of the transforms of a single LP point, and f0 was scaled from ω = 1. This effect tells us that the bandpass filter has geometric-mean symmetry.

I get that you need to use the geometric mean when multiplying (scaling) elements but I'm still having a hard time seeing why we can't just use the arithmetic mean in the case of defining the bandpass filter center frequency.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'll try a qualitative justification. If you plot the separate responses (dB vs. frequency) on a logarithmic frequency scale (the x-axis), the centre of the response does indeed seem to be about midway. But I said this is when plotted on a logarithmic scale, so using the arithmetic mean would miss the mark by a long way.

To throw in some figures. Suppose we have one corner frequency at 1Hz, and another at 100Hz. On a log paper plot, midway between these values corresponds to 10Hz and that's about where the response peaks. The response certainly does not peak near 50Hz.

1. What is the difference between geometric mean and arithmetic mean in bandpass filters?

The geometric mean in bandpass filters is a type of average that takes into account the logarithmic scale of frequency. It is calculated by taking the product of all the values and then taking the Nth root, where N is the number of values. The arithmetic mean, on the other hand, is a more traditional average that is calculated by adding all the values and then dividing by the number of values.

2. Which average is more commonly used in bandpass filters?

The geometric mean is more commonly used in bandpass filters because it takes into account the logarithmic scale of frequency, which is important in signal processing. It also provides a more accurate representation of the center frequency of a bandpass filter.

3. When should I use the geometric mean instead of the arithmetic mean in bandpass filters?

You should use the geometric mean in bandpass filters when you want a more accurate representation of the center frequency and when you are dealing with values that are not evenly distributed on a linear scale. If the values are evenly distributed, the arithmetic mean can be used without significant loss of accuracy.

4. Can the geometric mean and arithmetic mean be used interchangeably in bandpass filters?

No, the geometric mean and arithmetic mean cannot be used interchangeably in bandpass filters. They are calculated differently and provide different results. Using the wrong type of average can lead to errors in the design and performance of the bandpass filter.

5. Are there any other types of averages used in bandpass filters?

Yes, there are other types of averages used in bandpass filters such as the harmonic mean and the quadratic mean. These averages are used in specific situations and have their own advantages and disadvantages. However, the geometric mean and arithmetic mean are the most commonly used averages in bandpass filters.