DP: proving existence of optimal substructure for "Sherlock and Cost"

In summary: Inline LaTeX will not show a space between the left bracket and the index i, but will show it between the left bracket and the i in a text file.
CGandC
TL;DR Summary
How to prove the existence of optimal substructure for the dynamic programming problem "Sherlock and Cost"?
I was attempting to solve the "Sherlock and Cost" problem from HackerRank using DP:
1630849631539.png

But before I went to come up with a recursive relation, I wanted to find if the problem possesses an optimal substructure, and I was following these steps as written at CLRS book:
1630852375417.png

Mentor note: Inline images of mathematical expressions have been replaced by LaTeX.
I did step 1 as follows:
Define ## T = \{ \} ~~ . \forall i ## choose ## a \in B ## s.t. we define ## A = a ## s.t. ##1 \le A[ i] \le B[ i]## . After creating array ## A ## perform ## T.add(A) ##.
Continue adding arrays to set ## T ## until all possible added arrays ## A ## that satisfy ##1 \le A[ i] \le B[ i]## have been exhausted. Define the set ## SUMS = \{ \} ## . Afterwards, ## \forall j ## we look at the ## jth ## array ## A_j \in T ## , define ##S_j = \sum_{i = 1} (A_j[ i] - A_j[ i + 1])## and perform ## SUMS.add(S_j) ##.
Take ## max(SUMS) ## and we're finished. We showed the problem indeed consists of making a choice.Now, I want to prove steps 2+3+4 , this is done by taking an arbitrary object which you wish to optimize and assume that to optimize the object then ## X ## will occur, from this assumption subproblems should ensure and you show the solution to each one of them is an optimal solution.
Now, going back to proving steps 2+3+4 in the "Sherlock and Cost" problem, I have no idea what to do, I started with:
" Suppose that in order to find the array ## \hat{ A} ## s.t. ## S_{ \hat{ A} } ## is ##S_{ \hat{ A} } = \sum_{i = 1}({ \hat{ A} }_j[ i] - { \hat{ A} }_j[ i + 1])## is maximal ... [ stuff to be added ] "
but I have no idea how to continue, how would you proceed to formally proving steps 2+3+4 ( which is proving an optimal substructure exists for the problem )?

Note: Here's an example of how the existence of an optimal substructure is proved for the matrix parenthization problem ( from CLRS chapter 15.2 ) -

1630852755665.png

Thanks in advance for any help!

Attachments

• 1630849600570.png
    1630849600570.png
    66.1 KB · Views: 85
  • 1630852220518.png
    1630852220518.png
    49.4 KB · Views: 86
  • 1630854294054.png
    1630854294054.png
    3.4 KB · Views: 107
  • 1630854420583.png
    1630854420583.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 104
  • 1630854430441.png
    1630854430441.png
    1.3 KB · Views: 95
  • 1630854538030.png
    1630854538030.png
    3.4 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
Technology news on Phys.org
Formatting comment -- It looks like you were getting flummoxed by your LaTeX expressions, particularly with the array indexes. In a browser, an expression such as A[i] is interpreted to mean to display A, and then display any subsequent text in italics. A workaround is to insert a space between the left bracket and the index i.

I have replaced most of your attached images, replacing them with Inline LaTeX.

Likes CGandC and sysprog
Thanks, I had an issue with displaying array indexes as it seemed to dox my entire text and I couldn't preview correctly before I posted the question ( for some reason, if there are many LaTex expressions the preview won't load them ).

CGandC said:
I had an issue with displaying array indexes as it seemed to dox my entire text
Yes. As I mentioned, if you use i for an array index, when it directly follows a left bracket, the browser interprets this to mean "convert all following text to italics." No problem if you use j or k for an array index, or if you insert a space between [ and i. Some other index choices could cause similar problems, such as b (for bold) or u (for underline).
CGandC said:
if there are many LaTex expressions the preview won't load them ).
I haven't run into this, except that LaTeX expressions that are very long will cause problems. How long "very long" is I don't know.

Mark44 said:
Formatting comment -- It looks like you were getting flummoxed by your LaTeX expressions, particularly with the array indexes. In a browser, an expression such as A[i] is interpreted to mean to display A, and then display any subsequent text in italics. A workaround is to insert a space between the left bracket and the index i.

I have replaced most of your attached images, replacing them with Inline LaTeX.
It's not specifically the browser that causes the [i] expression to be interpreted as 'italics on'; it's the bbcode interpreter in the forum software (on PF, that's xenforo) ##-## (I used the ['color=black'] tag between the first bracket and the i to suppress the interpretation of the outer expression as bbcode).

Last edited:
If I type [ i] the space is shown, right? How did you get it it to not be shown, @Mark44?

yes

CGandC said:
yes
In post #5 I told of one way to do it; I'm curious as to how @Mark44 did it.

sysprog said:
If I type [ i] the space is shown, right?
Not in ## \LaTeX : a[ i] ## which is where it was causing the problem. For code, wrap it in [code] or [icode] tags: a[i].

You only need the [color=black]..[/color] hack in plain text.

Likes sysprog
pbuk said:
Not in ## \LaTeX : a[ i] ## which is where it was causing the problem. For code, wrap it in [code] or [icode] tags: a[i].

You only need the [color=black]..[/color] hack in plain text.
I see your point, but in post #2, @Mark44 did something that allowed him to show A[i] without it looking like your ##\LaTeX## version.

Last edited:
I managed to concieve of an attempt for proof of the existence of an optimal substructure:

Denote ## SEQ ## as the set of all sequences ## A ## s.t. ## \forall 1 \leq i \leq n ## , ## 1 \leq A[ i] \leq B[ i] ##. For all ## A \in SEQ ## define ## S_A = \sum_{i=2}^{n}{ | A[ i] - A[ i-1] |} ## .

Let ## \hat{A} \in SEQ ## s.t. for every ## \hat{A'} \in SEQ ##, ## S_\hat{A'} \leq S_\hat{A} ##.
Thus, there exist a sequence of optimal choices ## \langle o_1,o_2,...,o_n \rangle ## s.t. for all ## 1 \leq i \leq n ## we chose ## 1 \leq \alpha \leq B[ i] ## s.t. ## \alpha \in B ## and we define ## \hat{A}[ i] = \alpha ##, and this is the ## o_i ## choice.
Looking at the sequence of choices ## \langle o_1,o_2,...,o_{n-1} \rangle ## and looking at the sequence ## \tilde A ## that derives from these choices, ## \tilde A ## must be optimal. Otherwise, there exist a sequence of choices ## \langle o_1,...,o_l \rangle ## s.t. ## l < n-1 ## and note that the sequence of choices ## \langle o_1,...,o_l, o_n \rangle ## give ## \hat{A} ##. Notice that we have ## l+1 ## choices in the sequence ## \langle o_1,...,o_l \rangle ## and notice that ## \langle o_1,o_2,...,o_n \rangle ## is an optimal sequence of choices, but ## l+1 < n ## and since every sequence of choices that yields ## \hat{A} ## must have at-least ## n## choices, this means ## n \leq l+1 < n ## , a contradiction.

Last edited:
sysprog said:
I see your point, but in post #2, @Mark44 did something that allowed him to show A[i] without it looking like your ##\LaTeX## version (n.b.: you can wrap [size] . . . [/size] tags around [icode] . . . [/icode] tags to unshrink the inline code).
If you reply to the message and select 'Toggle BB Code' (the [ ] icon) you can see that he used a variant of the [color=black] hack: A[[COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)]i[/COLOR]].

Likes sysprog
pbuk said:
If you reply to the message and select 'Toggle BB Code' (the [ ] icon) you can see that he used a variant of the [color=black] hack: A[[COLOR=rgb(0, 0, 0)]i[/COLOR]].
Yeah, I had forgotten about that ##-## thanks for the reminder.

CGandC said:
I managed to concieve of an attempt for proof of the existence of an optimal substructure:

Denote ## SEQ ## as the set of all sequences ## A ## s.t. ## \forall 1 \leq i \leq n ## , ## 1 \leq A[ i] \leq B[ i] ##. For all ## A \in SEQ ## define ## S_A = \sum_{i=2}^{n}{ | A[ i] - A[ i-1] |} ## .

Let ## \hat{A} \in SEQ ## s.t. for every ## \hat{A'} \in SEQ ##, ## S_\hat{A'} \leq S_\hat{A} ##.
Thus, there exist a sequence of optimal choices ## \langle o_1,o_2,...,o_n \rangle ## s.t. for all ## 1 \leq i \leq n ## we chose ## 1 \leq \alpha \leq B[ i] ## s.t. ## \alpha \in B ## and we define ## \hat{A}[ i] = \alpha ##, and this is the ## o_i ## choice.
Looking at the sequence of choices ## \langle o_1,o_2,...,o_{n-1} \rangle ## and looking at the sequence ## \tilde A ## that derives from these choices, ## \tilde A ## must be optimal. Otherwise, there exist a sequence of choices ## \langle o_1,...,o_l \rangle ## s.t. ## l < n-1 ## and note that the sequence of choices ## \langle o_1,...,o_l, o_n \rangle ## give ## \hat{A} ##. Notice that we have ## l+1 ## choices in the sequence ## \langle o_1,...,o_l \rangle ## and notice that ## \langle o_1,o_2,...,o_n \rangle ## is an optimal sequence of choices, but ## l+1 < n ## and since every sequence of choices that yields ## \hat{A} ## must have at-least ## n## choices, this means ## n \leq l+1 < n ## , a contradiction.

I don't quite understand the approach with showing ## n \leq l+1 < n ##. The logic doesn't quite make sense to me. But I think that the thing you're trying to prove isn't true anyways.

In particular, it isn't true that if ##A_{0:n}## is an optimal solution to the problem of size ##n##, then ##A_{0:n-1}## is an optimal solution to the subproblem of size ##n-1##.

Here is a counter example,

B = [1, 3, 9]
A = [1, x, 9 ] gives an optimal score which is x-1 + 9 - x = 8, for all valid x.

Meaning the choice of x doesn't matter for deriving the optimal solution, and A = [1,1,9] is optimal.

However, for the sub-problem that choice does matter,

B = [1, 3]
A = [1, x ]

x must be 3 to be optimal (A = [1,1] is not optimal).

Note that this doesn't prove that there is no optimal substructure. I think you will need to define the choices and existence of sub-problems more carefully. E.g. maybe something like using cases, and showing that either this is an optimal sub-problem or that is an optimal sub-problem. Then you can maximize over the choices.

Last edited:
Likes CGandC
I think you are right because in my proof I don't use any specific property of ##
S = \sum_{i = 2} |A[ i] - A[ i - 1]| ##
and I also think that it's not entirely clear what the subproblems are and how they are used to create a solution to the main problem.
By the way, how could one define the subproblems? and how are they used to create a solution to the larger problem?

From a brief inspection of the problem and the way the value function compares each element of a candidate solution with its predecessor I do not see that it is possible to define independent subproblems: whenever you break before ## A_j ## you are not including ## A_j - A_{j - 1} ## anywhere.

Last edited:
CGandC said:
How could one define the subproblems? and how are they used to create a solution to the larger problem?
Perhaps you should have started with this: there is not much point trying to prove that something is optimal if you have no idea what that something looks like.

pbuk said:
From a brief inspection of the problem and the way the value function compares each element of a candidate solution with its predecessor I do not see that it is possible to define independent subproblems: whenever you break before ## A_j ## you are not including ## A_j - A_{j - 1} ## anywhere.
Like Jarvis above said, I'd have to find another way to define the subproblems because the way I've defined them does not allow the creation of a solution to a larger subproblem. In general, the definitions of subproblems are not unique thus we could define the subproblems in many ways but it can be a very difficult task.

pbuk said:
Perhaps you should have started with this: there is not much point trying to prove that something is optimal if you have no idea what that something looks like.
I don't fully agree, sometimes when you are not sure about the trueness of a theorem then attempting to prove it might give you more insight.

One might ask: since the number of subproblems is not necessarily unique, what is the number of possibilities to define subproblems for a DP problem?
Is it even possible to answer this question?

1. What is the concept of "optimal substructure" in the context of "Sherlock and Cost"?

Optimal substructure is a concept in dynamic programming that states that the optimal solution to a larger problem can be achieved by combining the optimal solutions to its smaller subproblems. In the context of "Sherlock and Cost", this means that the optimal cost for the entire trip can be found by combining the optimal costs for each individual day.

2. How does the proof of optimal substructure for "Sherlock and Cost" work?

The proof of optimal substructure for "Sherlock and Cost" involves showing that the optimal solution to a larger problem can be achieved by combining the optimal solutions to its smaller subproblems. This can be done through a recursive approach, where the optimal solution for a larger problem is calculated by considering the optimal solutions for its smaller subproblems.

3. What is the significance of proving the existence of optimal substructure for "Sherlock and Cost"?

Proving the existence of optimal substructure for "Sherlock and Cost" allows us to use dynamic programming to efficiently solve the problem. This means that we can avoid unnecessary computations and improve the overall efficiency of our solution.

4. Are there any other problems in which optimal substructure can be applied?

Yes, optimal substructure is a concept that can be applied to many other problems in computer science and mathematics. Some examples include the shortest path problem, the knapsack problem, and the longest common subsequence problem.

5. Can you explain how the concept of optimal substructure is related to overlapping subproblems?

The concept of optimal substructure is closely related to overlapping subproblems. Overlapping subproblems occur when solving a larger problem involves solving the same subproblem multiple times. Optimal substructure helps us avoid this by showing that the optimal solution for a larger problem can be achieved by combining the optimal solutions for its smaller subproblems, thus eliminating the need to solve the same subproblem multiple times.