DQ/dt=kA(dT/dx) = Heat Transfer. What is Q(t) Solution ?

In summary, the conversation discusses the time rate of change for heat transfer and the equation dQ/dt = kA(dT/dx), where k is the thermal conductivity constant, A is the boundary surface area, and dT/dx is the temperature gradient. It also considers the solution for Q(t) and whether it can be obtained by modifying Newton's Law of Cooling. The solution is proposed as Q(t) = Ta + (Ta-T0)e-ktAx, with additional constants A and x. The conversation also discusses the applicability of Newton's Law of Cooling and the equation dQ/dt = -k(Q2-Q1) to different heat transfer scenarios. It is noted that in the problem at hand, the
morrobay
Gold Member

Homework Statement

With the time rate of change for heat transfer:
dQ/dt = kA(dT/dx)
k = thermal conductivity constant
A = boundary surface area
dT/dx = temp gradient

Homework Equations

Can the solution for Q(t) be obtained from modifying Newtons Law of Cooling since dQ/dt is proportional to T0 - Tambient and with A , x and k as constants ?

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
Q(t) = Ta + (Ta-T0)e-ktAx

Likes Arka sarkar
Physics news on Phys.org
What sort of heat transfer does Newton's law of cooling work for?
What sort of heat transfer is the equation above for?

Newtons Law of Cooling can apply for the cooling of a hot liquid in cooler surroundings.
The equation above for dQ/dt applies to conductive/contact heat transfer.(edit)
So why not similar solutions, T(t) for Newton solution and Q(t) for the above equation

Last edited:
Newtonian cooling only applies where the temperature closest to the object being cooled stays the same.
Is that the case for the other relation?
Is the solution you proposed from considering the Newton case a solution to the DE for the contact-conduction case?

Last edited:
For Newtons DE, dT/dt = -k(T-Ta)
with Tambient remaining the same. And dQ/dt = -kA(dT/dx) there is heat transfer with temp change. for two objects. But in both cases does this apply ? : y(t) = y0 e-kt and therefore my proposed solution.with additional constants A,and x.
If not then what function is Q(t) ?

Last edited:
That's what you have to figure out.
Generally "it depends".

Ok, this is a more complete description ; Two 1kg cubes of copper one at 100 C (930 calories) the other at 400C (3720 calories) are in contact with a .5 meter conduction bar with area .0025 m2 area. Area of one face of copper cube, other faces are insulated. This is not steady state sinceT2 temp decreasing and T1 temp increasing. So dQ/dt = kA dT/dx may not apply. I assume the DE is related to dQ/dt = -k(Q2-Q1) And if the solution is related to y(t) = y0 e-kt then therefore proposed solution : Q(t) = 930 +2790e-ktAx
Note: I could not find anything in Halliday Resnick text for this.

I plugged in all the values for k(t3)Ax and above is obviously not the solution for either Q(t) or T(t) for the copper cube that is 400 C at t0

Last edited:
morrobay said:
Ok, this is a more complete description ; Two 1kg cubes of copper one at 100 C (930 calories) the other at 400C (3720 calories) are in contact with a .5 meter conduction bar with area .0025 m2 area. Area of one face of copper cube, other faces are insulated. This is not steady state sinceT2 temp decreasing and T1 temp increasing. So dQ/dt = kA dT/dx may not apply. I assume the DE is related to dQ/dt = -k(Q2-Q1) And if the solution is related to y(t) = y0 e-kt then therefore proposed solution : Q(t) = 930 +2790e-ktAx
Note: I could not find anything in Halliday Resnick text for this.
Is the thermal inertia of the conduction bar significant (i.e.,does it have significant heat capacity) or can its heat capacity be neglected?

In this problem, you assume that the resistance to heat transfer within the copper cubes is negligible, so that the two copper cubes are each at a uniform temperature at all times. Is this assumption a problem for you?

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Is the thermal inertia of the conduction bar significant (i.e.,does it have significant heat capacity) or can its heat capacity be neglected?

In this problem, you assume that the resistance to heat transfer within the copper cubes is negligible, so that the two copper cubes are each at a uniform temperature at all times. Is this assumption a problem for you?

Chet
Yes , heat capacity of conduction bar is negligible. By uniform if you mean even heat distribution in cubes then yes
The cubes at t0 are 100 and 400 with T1 absorbing heat and T2 transferring heat. I would appreciate the DE and Q(t) or T(t) solution. Thanks

Last edited:
morrobay said:
Yes , heat capacity of conduction bar is negligible.
Then the temperature profile along the bar responds instantaneously to the changes in the temperature of the cubes at each of its ends, and the temperature profile along the bar is always linear. So, if TH is the temperature of the hotter cube at any time, and TC is the temperature of the colder cube at any time, then the rate of heat flow from the hotter cube to the colder cube at any time is equal to ##kA\frac{(T_H-T_C)}{L}##. Since this is the rate of heat loss of the hot cube, how is the rate of change of the hot cube temperature related to this rate of heat loss?

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Then the temperature profile along the bar responds instantaneously to the changes in the temperature of the cubes at each of its ends, and the temperature profile along the bar is always linear. So, if TH is the temperature of the hotter cube at any time, and TC is the temperature of the colder cube at any time, then the rate of heat flow from the hotter cube to the colder cube at any time is equal to ##kA\frac{(T_H-T_C)}{L}##. Since this is the rate of heat loss of the hot cube, how is the rate of change of the hot cube temperature related to this rate of heat loss?

Chet
So dQ/dt = kA/dT/dx applies to both steady( T1 and T2 fixed) and non steady state time rate of change heat transfer which of course decreases with heat loss of hotter cube. In steady state with thermal conductivity coefficient Q(t) for hotter cube can be obtained. But in non steady state situation dQ/dt rate is not linear. So how do you get Q(t) for hotter cube ? Thanks

Last edited:
morrobay said:
So dQ/dt = kA/dT/dx applies to both steady and non steady state time rate of change heat transfer which of course decreases with heat loss of hotter cube. In steady state with thermal conductivity coefficient Q(t) can be obtained. But in non steady state situation dQ/dt rate is not linear. So how do you get Q(t) ? Thanks
Maybe this will help:
$$mC\frac{dT_H}{dt}=-kA\frac{(T_H-T_C)}{L}$$
$$mC\frac{dT_C}{dt}=+kA\frac{(T_H-T_C)}{L}$$
where m is the mass of each cube and C is the heat capacity of copper. I hope this makes sense to you, because it is correct.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Maybe this will help:
$$mC\frac{dT_H}{dt}=-kA\frac{(T_H-T_C)}{L}$$
$$mC\frac{dT_C}{dt}=+kA\frac{(T_H-T_C)}{L}$$
where m is the mass of each cube and C is the heat capacity of copper. I hope this makes sense to you, because it is correct.

Chet

The question is not only about rate of heat transfer, dQ/dt, which is constant in steady state where T1 and T2 are fixed.
And in a non steady state where T2 decreasing and T1 increasing and therefore dQ/dt is not constant. The question is for the function Q(t) , the quantity of calories in the hotter cube at any time (t) for non steady state. Since heat transfer rate dQ/dt in non steady state is not constant where both cubes have changing temperatures , I don't understand how equation above can obtain Q(t) ? For example in a non steady state at t0 T2 = 400 C. Then at suppose t8 where T2 is less than 40 0 how many calories are left in hotter cube or what is its temperature ? Even for the case in Newtons Cooling where only T2 is changing (cooling) T(t) is a DE solution. In the case above where T2 > T1 and both are changing it appears a DE and
solution for Q(t) is involved.

Last edited:
morrobay said:
The question is not only about rate of heat transfer, dQ/dt, which is constant in steady state where T1 and T2 are fixed.
And in a non steady state where T2 decreasing and T1 increasing and therefore dQ/dt is not constant. The question is for the function Q(t) , the quantity of calories in the hotter cube at any time (t) for non steady state. Since heat transfer rate dQ/dt in non steady state is not constant where both cubes have changing temperatures , I don't understand how equation above can obtain Q(t) ? For example in a non steady state at t0 T2 = 400 C. Then at suppose t8 where T2 is less than 40 0 how many calories are left in hotter cube or what is its temperature ? Even for the case in Newtons Cooling where only T2 is changing (cooling) T(t) is a DE solution. In the case above where T2 > T1 and both are changing it appears a DE and
solution for Q(t) is involved.
That's right. And all this become clearer to you once you solve those two differential equations I wrote down, subject to the initial conditions on TH and TC. Do you know how to solve those two simultaneous first order ordinary differential equations for TH and TC as functions of time? If so, let's see what you obtain.

Chet

If I subtract the cold equation from the hot equation, I get:
$$mC\frac{d(T_H-T_C)}{dt}=-2kA\frac{(T_H-T_C)}{L}$$
where m is the mass of each cube and C is the heat capacity of copper. The solution to this differential equation is:

$$(T_H-T_C)=(T_{H0}-T_{C0})e^{-\frac{2kAt}{mCL}}$$

So, Q(t) (as you call it) is given by:

$$\frac{dQ}{dt}=\frac{kA}{L}(T_{H0}-T_{C0})e^{-\frac{2kAt}{mCL}}$$

$$Q(t)=\frac{mC}{2}(T_{H0}-T_{C0})\left(1-e^{-\frac{2kAt}{mCL}}\right)$$

Any questions?

Chet[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Likes morrobay

1. What does "DQ/dt=kA(dT/dx)" represent in the heat transfer equation?

"DQ/dt" represents the rate of change of heat, "k" represents the thermal conductivity, "A" represents the cross-sectional area, and "(dT/dx)" represents the temperature gradient. This equation is used to calculate the rate of heat transfer in a system.

2. How is the heat transfer equation derived?

The heat transfer equation is derived from the first law of thermodynamics, which states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred. It takes into account the temperature difference, thermal conductivity, and cross-sectional area to determine the rate of heat transfer.

3. What is the significance of the "k" value in the heat transfer equation?

The "k" value represents the thermal conductivity, which is a measure of how easily heat can flow through a material. Materials with higher thermal conductivity will transfer heat more quickly than materials with lower thermal conductivity.

4. How does the temperature gradient affect heat transfer?

The temperature gradient, represented by "(dT/dx)" in the heat transfer equation, is a measure of the change in temperature over a given distance. A larger temperature gradient indicates a faster rate of heat transfer, as there is a greater difference in temperature between the two points.

5. What is the role of the cross-sectional area in the heat transfer equation?

The cross-sectional area, represented by "A" in the heat transfer equation, is the area perpendicular to the direction of heat flow. A larger cross-sectional area means there is more space for heat to transfer through, resulting in a higher rate of heat transfer.