Dr. Middlebrook's "Technical Therapy For Analog Circuit Designers"

In summary, the new engineer was taught how to program in a very specific way, but was not taught how to design a system that worked together.
Joseph M. Zias
TL;DR Summary
Dr. R. David Middlebrook's video presentations and notes are now viewable on a website.
Dr. R. David Middlebrook was a very well known professor of analog engineering at Caltech. He was also a cofounder of the power supply design and analysis group "Teslaco". Dr. Middlebrook developed a program "Technical Therapy for Analog Circuit Designers". The dvd was available for several years but was no longer available after his passing. This program has 20 hours of video presentation and extensive notes. It is now viewable from Venable Industries:

https://www.venableinstruments.com/blog/dr-middlebrook

I highly recommend viewing, especially by "analog engineers". Some of the topics are: Low Entropy Equation Development from the circuit diagram, Bode Plots - including inverted poles and zeros, The Extra Element Theorem, and much more.

• Informative
Likes dlgoff, DaveE and berkeman
Engineering news on Phys.org
I can't recommend Middlebrook's approach to analog design highly enough. One of the few professors that taught understanding equations instead of just deriving them. i.e. what can be ignored, when, and why.

"Engineering is the art of approximation" - R.D. Middlebrook

Joseph M. Zias said:
Summary:: Dr. R. David Middlebrook's video presentations and notes are now viewable on a website.

I highly recommend viewing,
Thanks for the link @Joseph M. Zias. I downloaded the white paper for my reading pleasure.

DaveE said:
I can't recommend Middlebrook's approach to analog design highly enough.
"I threw my mother from the train, a kiss"... o0)

Dang you @DaveE -- I started reading your sentence and thought, "Oh no! I wonder what Dave didn't like about it..." :doh:

• Skeptical
  • Haha
Likes dlgoff and Tom.G
Just got thru the first lecture. Right On!

The first 30mins. reminded me of a situtaion I observed on one job. A new, small (6-8months) project came in and a freshly minted engineer was hired right after his graduation. He was assigned to do assembly language programming on a microprocessor for control of the hardware. At project completion he left the company. I later asked the boss how it worked out.

All the requirements were neatly packaged in subroutines, just as he was taught in school, one piece at a time. However there was no way to get them to work together as a unit. The boss said he had to rewrite the whole thing!

Likes dlgoff

1. What is "Technical Therapy For Analog Circuit Designers"?

"Technical Therapy For Analog Circuit Designers" is a book written by Dr. Middlebrook that provides a comprehensive guide for designing analog circuits. It covers various topics such as circuit analysis, design techniques, and troubleshooting methods.

2. Who is Dr. Middlebrook?

Dr. Middlebrook is a renowned scientist and engineer who is known for his contributions to the field of analog circuit design. He has over 50 years of experience in the industry and has authored several books and papers on the subject.

3. What makes this book different from other circuit design guides?

This book is unique because it presents a practical approach to analog circuit design, based on Dr. Middlebrook's extensive experience. It also includes real-world examples and case studies, making it easier for readers to understand and apply the concepts.

4. Is this book suitable for beginners in circuit design?

Yes, this book is suitable for both beginners and experienced circuit designers. It covers the fundamentals of analog circuit design, making it a great resource for those who are new to the field. However, it also includes advanced techniques and strategies that can benefit experienced designers.

5. Can I use this book for self-study or is it better for classroom use?

This book can be used for both self-study and classroom use. It is written in a clear and concise manner, making it easy for individuals to learn on their own. It can also be used as a reference guide for teachers and students in a classroom setting.