Dr. Middlebrook's "Technical Therapy For Analog Circuit Designers"

Summary:

Dr. R. David Middlebrook's video presentations and notes are now viewable on a website.

Main Question or Discussion Point

Dr. R. David Middlebrook was a very well known professor of analog engineering at Caltech. He was also a cofounder of the power supply design and analysis group "Teslaco". Dr. Middlebrook developed a program "Technical Therapy for Analog Circuit Designers". The dvd was available for several years but was no longer available after his passing. This program has 20 hours of video presentation and extensive notes. It is now viewable from Venable Industries:

https://www.venableinstruments.com/blog/dr-middlebrook

I highly recommend viewing, especially by "analog engineers". Some of the topics are: Low Entropy Equation Development from the circuit diagram, Bode Plots - including inverted poles and zeros, The Extra Element Theorem, and much more.

• Informative
Likes dlgoff, DaveE and berkeman

Answers and Replies

I can't recommend Middlebrook's approach to analog design highly enough. One of the few professors that taught understanding equations instead of just deriving them. i.e. what can be ignored, when, and why.

"Engineering is the art of approximation" - R.D. Middlebrook

dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Summary:: Dr. R. David Middlebrook's video presentations and notes are now viewable on a website.

I highly recommend viewing,
Thanks for the link @Joseph M. Zias. I downloaded the white paper for my reading pleasure.

berkeman
Mentor
I can't recommend Middlebrook's approach to analog design highly enough.
"I threw my mother from the train, a kiss"... o0)

Dang you @DaveE -- I started reading your sentence and thought, "Oh no! I wonder what Dave didn't like about it..." :doh:

• Skeptical
  • Haha
Likes dlgoff and Tom.G
Tom.G
Science Advisor
Just got thru the first lecture. Right On!

The first 30mins. reminded me of a situtaion I observed on one job. A new, small (6-8months) project came in and a freshly minted engineer was hired right after his graduation. He was assigned to do assembly language programming on a microprocessor for control of the hardware. At project completion he left the company. I later asked the boss how it worked out.

All the requirements were neatly packaged in subroutines, just as he was taught in school, one piece at a time. However there was no way to get them to work together as a unit. The boss said he had to rewrite the whole thing!

Likes dlgoff