Drag Coefficient (Cd) values for I-beams, Channels, etc.

In summary: It cleared up my confusion...:wink: Thanks! I think you can just use the values from the PDF to calculate the wind force.
HoBBLeCooKiE
Can anyone PLEASE help me in pointing me in the right direction? I need to obtain drag coefficient calues for I-beams. I found a site stating it was 2.7, but it says nothing about the orientation?? I basically need the Cd-value for flow parallel to the I-beam, from the top and from the side.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you need to clarify your request. Your use of the word parallel and then "from the top and bottom" seems in conflict. The 2.7 number is likely for a flow perpendicular to the length and sounds pretty reasonable.
DC

Last edited:
2.7 sounds really high. A very good parachute has a cd of about 2.2-2.5.

DarioC said:
I think you need to clarify your request. Your use of the word parallel and then "from the top and bottom" seems in conflict. The 2.7 number is likely for a flow perpendicular to the length and sounds pretty reasonable.
DC

What I meant was that I need 3 Cd values. (I attached a quick sketch of it.)

[PLAIN]http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/6361/ibeam.jpg

Cd values are for:

1 - Flow onto "web" area.
2 - Flow onto flat "plate" area.
3 - Flow parallel to the length of the I-beam.

I would like to see the change in wind load according to change in orientation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would use Cd1 and Cd2 as 1.6. For Cd3, I've never used it, but I assume it's value would be very low parallel to the web, and dwarfed by the drag factor on the end face, which would again be about 1.6.

PhanthomJay said:
I would use Cd1 and Cd2 as 1.6. For Cd3, I've never used it, but I assume it's value would be very low parallel to the web, and dwarfed by the drag factor on the end face, which would again be about 1.6.

Wouldn't the value for Cd1 be a bit higher than Cd2?

HoBBLeCooKiE said:
Wouldn't the value for Cd1 be a bit higher than Cd2?
Perhaps, but I've aways in both cases just used the projected area to calculate the wind force, using the drag factor for a 'flat' surface (Cd = 1.0 for a cylindrical face, Cd =1.6 for a flat face).

PhanthomJay said:
Perhaps, but I've aways in both cases just used the projected area to calculate the wind force, using the drag factor for a 'flat' surface (Cd = 1.0 for a cylindrical face, Cd =1.6 for a flat face).

Yes, but when the air hits the web side (as in Cd1) it will be restricted when trying to move around the web area because of the plates either side. This will definitely cause the Cd value to be higher.

What is the drag coefficient (Cd) for an I-beam?

The drag coefficient (Cd) for an I-beam can vary depending on the specific dimensions and shape of the beam. Generally, it falls within the range of 0.3-0.6. It is important to note that the drag coefficient also changes with the angle of attack and Reynolds number.

How is the drag coefficient (Cd) calculated for a channel?

The drag coefficient (Cd) for a channel is calculated using the same formula as for any other shape, which takes into account the projected area and drag force. However, since channels have a more complex geometry, the calculation may require the use of computational fluid dynamics (CFD) simulations.

Does the drag coefficient (Cd) change with the fluid medium?

Yes, the drag coefficient (Cd) can change with the fluid medium in which the I-beam or channel is placed. This is because the properties of the fluid, such as density and viscosity, can affect the flow around the object and thus the drag force acting on it.

How does the angle of attack affect the drag coefficient (Cd) for these shapes?

The angle of attack, which is the angle at which the flow strikes the object, can significantly affect the drag coefficient (Cd) for I-beams and channels. As the angle of attack increases, the drag coefficient also increases due to the change in the flow patterns around the object.

Are there any ways to reduce the drag coefficient (Cd) for these shapes?

Yes, there are various methods that can be used to reduce the drag coefficient (Cd) for I-beams, channels, and other shapes. These include changing the shape or dimensions of the object, adding streamlined features, and using surface treatments such as dimples or riblets to manipulate the flow and reduce drag.