Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Drag Coefficient out by a factor of 10, can anyone help?

1. Mar 1, 2009 #1
    Drag Coefficient out by a factor of 10, can anyone help??

Im doing an experiment on the drag of a sphere and am trying to work out the drag coefficient. From looking at data online this should be around 0.5 (its a smooth sphere). Using a wind tunnel I measured the drag for various sizes of spheres and wind speeds. An example of one of my results is

Drag - 0.68N
    Wind Speed - 7.8m/s
    Radius of Sphere - 0.0371m

Then, using the formula

Drag Coefficent = (2 x Drag) / Area x Wind Speed^2 x Density of Air

Having measured the room temperature to be 22 degrees celcius I took the density of air to be 1.204kg/m^3 and the projected frontal area was calculated using pi x r^2

But this equals 5.039!!!! so could anyone point out where im going wrong?? Im 90% sure all of my values are correct. Thanks in advance for any help :)

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2009 #2
    Re: Drag Coefficient out by a factor of 10, can anyone help??

Are you absolutely sure about the calculated drag force? Your equation is correct, although I get 4.293 when I plug your data into it (probably rounding differences). I'm not terribly familiar with wind tunnels, but try checking the units of the readings that you're getting from it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook