Is Drag Coefficient Constant for same shape, different size?

In summary, the drag coefficient depends on the shape of an object and is a non-dimensional quantity that relates drag force to fluid velocity, density, and a characteristic of the body. For simple shapes like spheres, the characteristic used is usually the projected area. The drag coefficient can vary at different Reynolds numbers, which depend on the size of the object and the flow regime. Wind tunnels are used to simulate scaled models and adjust other parameters to accurately replicate real-world conditions. However, for more complex shapes, special techniques must be used to scale up the drag force. Cryogenic wind tunnels are used to cool down the air and make tests more realistic.
Typhon4ever
I've read that drag coefficient depends on the shape of the object but I am confused as to what shape means. Does it mean geometric shape or is area included in that? Say I have one sphere of radius r and keep fluid velocity, density, and viscosity constant and find its drag coefficient. Would its drag coefficient be different if I measured the drag coefficient of a sphere of radius R assuming again all other parameters are constant?

Physics news on Phys.org
It can matter if you change the Reynolds number, e. g. if you change from laminar flow to turbulent flow or vice versa. If that doesn't happen, it is approximately constant if you scale the system up. Wind tunnels usually change more parameters (speed, temperature, ...) to simulate scaled models more accurately.

mfb said:
It can matter if you change the Reynolds number, e. g. if you change from laminar flow to turbulent flow or vice versa. If that doesn't happen, it is approximately constant if you scale the system up. Wind tunnels usually change more parameters (speed, temperature, ...) to simulate scaled models more accurately.

If velocity, density, and viscosity are kept constant, would Reynolds number change? It shouldn't as long as the diameters of the testing pipe stay the same right?

Typhon4ever said:
I've read that drag coefficient depends on the shape of the object but I am confused as to what shape means. Does it mean geometric shape or is area included in that? Say I have one sphere of radius r and keep fluid velocity, density, and viscosity constant and find its drag coefficient. Would its drag coefficient be different if I measured the drag coefficient of a sphere of radius R assuming again all other parameters are constant?
Shape means the physical geometry of a body. All spheres have the same shape, just different radii.

The drag coefficient is a non-dimensional quantity which relates drag force with other key variables, like fluid velocity, density, and some physical characteristic of the body in question. Different bodies can have different physical characteristics selected for computing drag coefficient. For most simple shapes, like spheres, usually the characteristic chosen is the projected area of the body normal to the flow of the fluid. For other shapes, there may not be such a simple or obvious choice to be made.

Here is a plot of the drag coefficient of a sphere at different Reynold's numbers:

19AFig4.gif

The study of drag coefficients is pretty involved, much too much to be covered in a forum post.

See this article for more discussion:

http://www.thermopedia.com/content/546/?tid=104&sn=1159

Typhon4ever said:
If velocity, density, and viscosity are kept constant, would Reynolds number change? It shouldn't as long as the diameters of the testing pipe stay the same right?

If you are doing the test correctly, the diameter Reynolds number of the test section (usually a wind tunnel, not a simple pipe) doesn't matter because it's not a fully-developed duct flow. It's a free stream with thin boundary layers on the walls.

The important parameter here is the Reynolds number based on diameter of the sphere, and that will change with the size. As long as you don't change flow regimes, though, the drag coefficient is essentially constant over several orders of magnitude of ##Re_d##.

boneh3ad said:
If you are doing the test correctly, the diameter Reynolds number of the test section (usually a wind tunnel, not a simple pipe) doesn't matter because it's not a fully-developed duct flow. It's a free stream with thin boundary layers on the walls.

The important parameter here is the Reynolds number based on diameter of the sphere, and that will change with the size. As long as you don't change flow regimes, though, the drag coefficient is essentially constant over several orders of magnitude of ##Re_d##.

Just so I am understanding this, by changing the radius of the sphere I am essentially changing the Reynolds number and thus the associated drag force? Are same shaped objects scale-able in terms of their drag force and drag coefficient or would I have to do separate experiments for both?

Typhon4ever said:
Just so I am understanding this, by changing the radius of the sphere I am essentially changing the Reynolds number and thus the associated drag force? Are same shaped objects scale-able in terms of their drag force and drag coefficient or would I have to do separate experiments for both?
The Reynolds number is a means to determine what sort of flow regime in which you are performing your test and in which the real article operates. Drag coefficients, as shown in the sketch above, change depending on the Reynolds number of the flow experienced.

The drag of some simple objects, like spheres and cylinders, can be scaled up from model size to full size without too much hassle. Other objects with more complex shapes, like aircraft and ships, can be tested in model form and have their drag scaled up using special empirical techniques, because the Reynolds numbers for the model tests will often be several orders of magnitude smaller than the Reynolds numbers for the full-size article in operation.

It all depends on the shape you are testing and the flow conditions for which you want the full-size drag force.

If you scale your model down, you want to keep the Reynolds number similar to the original model. You can reduce the wind speed - but then you increase the Euler number, another relevant dimensionless parameter. In additin, you cannot test supersonic airflow with that approach.
Cryogenic wind tunnels like this one cool down the air to make the tests more realistic in terms of both dimensionless quantities.

1. What is the drag coefficient?

The drag coefficient is a dimensionless quantity that represents the resistance of an object moving through a fluid, such as air or water. It is a measure of how easily the object can move through the fluid, and is influenced by factors such as the object's shape, size, and velocity.

2. Is the drag coefficient constant for the same shape at different sizes?

No, the drag coefficient is not constant for the same shape at different sizes. As an object increases in size, its drag coefficient generally decreases due to the larger surface area and increased air resistance. However, this relationship is not always linear and can vary depending on the shape of the object.

3. How does the drag coefficient change with a change in size?

As mentioned before, the drag coefficient typically decreases as an object increases in size. This is because a larger object can displace more air, resulting in a lower pressure difference between the front and back of the object, thus reducing the drag force.

4. Is the shape of an object the only factor that affects the drag coefficient?

No, the drag coefficient is influenced by several factors in addition to the shape of an object. These include the object's size, surface roughness, speed, and the density and viscosity of the fluid it is moving through.

5. Can the drag coefficient be accurately predicted for different sized objects with the same shape?

While the drag coefficient can be estimated for different sized objects with the same shape, it is not always possible to accurately predict it. This is because there may be other factors at play that can affect the drag coefficient, such as turbulence or changes in the fluid properties.