Drake Equation: Parameters, Missed Factors & Technical Limits

• Thread starter toph
  • Start date
In summary, The conversation is about the Drake Equation, which is used to estimate the number of intelligent civilizations in our galaxy. The participants discuss the parameters of the equation and whether any may have been missed or are unquantifiable. They also question the possibility of life beyond Earth and the limitations of our current technology in detecting it. Ultimately, they question the effectiveness of the Drake Equation in accurately estimating the probability of extraterrestrial life.
toph
Hi

I am not sure if this is in the correct forum, please move if required. I know this equation is not really suited to this forum but i think a discussion about some of the Drake equations parameters are.

First please see,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake_Equation

If unsure of what Drakes equation is.

Please disregard the fact that most/all of the values for the given parameters are unquantifiable. My interest in this is not so much the discussion that inteligent life may exist beyond Earth, but more towards the parameters Drake chose for his equation and whether you think any are misguided or just plain wrong!

My questions in relation to this are,
1) Do you think this equation misses out any parameters? if so what?

2) Given that distance will be a major factor in any detection method, are there any current technical limits that restrict estimating the given parameters?

3) If there is a missing parameter and its value was zero then the probability of life beyond Earth is also zero, can you think of anything that drake may have left out that would give a null value?

4) If you could ask Drake one question about his equation what would it be?

Thanks for your comments

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I think Drake left a wholle world of paparmeters out of his equation partly because they are unanswerable or because he just couldn't imagine them.

We do not know, all these decades after Drake wrote, what are the true boundaries of life or the actual parameterization of the totally unknown requirements for the rise of technology-using life. So the whole Drake effort to parametrize our ignorance looks to me like a mug's game.

selfAdjoint said:
I think Drake left a wholle world of paparmeters out of his equation partly because they are unanswerable or because he just couldn't imagine them.

This is the crux of what i was considering, what parameters do you think he missed out?

i think he missed out a parameter for the fraction of planetary systems with a stable planetary system.

i.e no planetary migration.

Is this even a consideration?

Related to Drake Equation: Parameters, Missed Factors & Technical Limits

What is the Drake Equation?

The Drake Equation is a mathematical formula created by astronomer Frank Drake in 1961 to estimate the number of potential extraterrestrial civilizations in our galaxy that could communicate with us.

What are the parameters of the Drake Equation?

The parameters of the Drake Equation are: the average rate of star formation in our galaxy, the fraction of those stars that have planets, the number of planets per star that are capable of supporting life, the fraction of those planets where life actually evolves, the fraction of those planets where intelligent life evolves, the fraction of intelligent civilizations that develop technology to communicate, and the length of time those civilizations release detectable signals into space.

Are there any missed factors in the Drake Equation?

Yes, there are several missed factors in the Drake Equation. Some of these include the potential for multiple intelligent species on one planet, the potential for civilizations to self-destruct before becoming detectable, and the possibility of civilizations choosing not to communicate with others.

What are the technical limits of the Drake Equation?

The technical limits of the Drake Equation include the limited knowledge we have of the universe and our own planet, the difficulty in determining the exact values for each parameter, and the fact that the equation can only provide an estimation and not a concrete answer.

Why is the Drake Equation still relevant today?

The Drake Equation is still relevant today because it encourages scientific inquiry and speculation about the possibility of extraterrestrial life. It also helps us think about the conditions necessary for life to exist and the potential for communication with other civilizations. Additionally, it serves as a reminder that we are not alone in the vastness of the universe.