Draw the equivalent circuit using only NAND gates

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving drawing equivalent NAND gates for a given circuit. Questions are raised about the use of inverted inputs and 3-input NAND gates, and the change from ~C to C in the problem. It is determined that the answer is correct and that both inverted inputs and 3-input NAND gates are allowed. The person providing the solution also explains how they changed from ~C to C.
Fatima Hasan

Homework Statement

For the circuit shown below , draw the equivalent NAND gates .
1.png

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

2.png

Could someone check my answer please ?

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 1,137
  • 2.png
    2.png
    2.1 KB · Views: 929
Physics news on Phys.org
It is correct.
Are you allowed -A, or -B without using a NAND to invert them?
Are you allowed to use a 3-input NAND?

I know one can reproduce any other gate using only NAND gates, but there are some things I don't understand about the above.
  • if ~ means inverted, what is the point in the problem specifying ~C as an input? Why not simply C?
  • does A,B translate into A,~B; ~A,B implicitly, without needing to be shown?
  • is the change from ~C to C just a typo? Or a mis-transcription from the problem? (I guess it has no material effect on the result)

Last edited:
Hello @DaveC426913:

The tilda (~) is among the common notations for "not".
Only the author would know why ~C was specified instead of C - but I imagine it was just part of the exercise.
Your second question is basically the same as my 2nd question. You can change A to ~A with a single nand gate. But do the homework instructions require that the gates for generating ~A and ~B be included in the answer?
When @Fatima Hasan specified C instead of ~C in his response, it could not have been "just a typo". Only C would work in his answer. But again, is he allowed to presume that C is available?

Last edited:
.Scott said:
It is correct.
Are you allowed -A, or -B without using a NAND to invert them?
Are you allowed to use a 3-input NAND?
Yes to both questions.

.Scott said:
But do the homework instructions require that the gates for generating ~A and ~B be included in the answer?
No , only the final answer is required.

Here's how I changed from ~C to C :
Untitled.png

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    14.4 KB · Views: 837
Fatima Hasan said:
OK but C is not what is provided as input.
The input is ~C. You don't get to change that.

I think this answer is wrong.

Fatima Hasan said:
View attachment 235192
I didn't check the rest of your work, but the vertical inverter gate is drawn upside-down...

upload_2018-12-4_7-1-17.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-12-4_7-1-17.png
    upload_2018-12-4_7-1-17.png
    2 KB · Views: 494
Likes Wrichik Basu

What is a NAND gate?

A NAND gate is a logic gate that performs the logical operation of "NOT AND". It takes two inputs and produces an output that is the opposite of the AND operation. It is represented by the symbol and can be created using transistors.

What is the equivalent circuit using NAND gates?

The equivalent circuit using only NAND gates is a circuit where all other logic gates, such as AND, OR, and NOT gates, are replaced with combinations of NAND gates. This is possible because NAND gates are universal gates, which means they can be used to create any other logic gate.

Why would someone want to use only NAND gates in a circuit?

Using only NAND gates in a circuit can simplify the design and reduce the number of components needed. It can also reduce power consumption and improve the overall efficiency of the circuit.

How can I draw an equivalent circuit using only NAND gates?

To draw an equivalent circuit using only NAND gates, you can use the logic symbols for each gate and connect them together based on the desired logic function. You can also use a truth table to determine the inputs and outputs for each gate.

What are the advantages and disadvantages of using only NAND gates in a circuit?

The advantages of using only NAND gates in a circuit include simplification, reduced power consumption, and improved efficiency. However, the disadvantage is that it may not be as intuitive to design and understand compared to using a variety of logic gates.