Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Drawing Software for Mech Eng?

1. Aug 26, 2010 #1

Pretty simple, just what the title says, anyone know of some good drawing software for Mechanical Engineering?

What I mean by drawing software is software that can make diagrams such as MOHr Strain Diags, Beam Diags, and Freebody drawings, etc.?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2010 #2
    pen and paper.

I mean seriously? A drawing package for FBD and beam diagrams? If you are hell bent on using a computer, you may as well use MS Paint.

Mohrs circles are a little different, they can be drawn in any maths package. You may even find an applet on the web that will draw them.
  4. Aug 26, 2010 #3

Science Advisor

Any Computer Algebra System like MathCAD or Maple can make plots. AutoCAD can be used for FBD's although it may be a bit over kill. MS Visio is probably the quickest and easiest to use.

5. Aug 27, 2010 #4

Science Advisor

I was going to say that the only time I would need report-quality FBD and the like...would be in a report. As such, the drawing tools in Microsoft Word should be more than satisfactory.

Or as mentioned...MS Paint.
  6. Aug 27, 2010 #5
    MS Visio is good but I personally prefer just using the drawing tools in power point.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook