Drawing Software for Mech Eng?

In summary, the conversation is about recommendations for drawing software for Mechanical Engineering, specifically for creating diagrams like MOHr Strain Diags, Beam Diags, and Freebody drawings. Some suggestions include using pen and paper, MS Paint, MathCAD or Maple, AutoCAD, MS Visio, or the drawing tools in Microsoft Word or PowerPoint.
herpamad
Hi

Pretty simple, just what the title says, anyone know of some good drawing software for Mechanical Engineering?

What I mean by drawing software is software that can make diagrams such as MOHr Strain Diags, Beam Diags, and Freebody drawings, etc.?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
pen and paper.

I mean seriously? A drawing package for FBD and beam diagrams? If you are hell bent on using a computer, you may as well use MS Paint.

Mohrs circles are a little different, they can be drawn in any maths package. You may even find an applet on the web that will draw them.

herpamad said:
Hi

Pretty simple, just what the title says, anyone know of some good drawing software for Mechanical Engineering?

What I mean by drawing software is software that can make diagrams such as MOHr Strain Diags, Beam Diags, and Freebody drawings, etc.?

Thanks

Any Computer Algebra System like MathCAD or Maple can make plots. AutoCAD can be used for FBD's although it may be a bit over kill. MS Visio is probably the quickest and easiest to use.

CS

I was going to say that the only time I would need report-quality FBD and the like...would be in a report. As such, the drawing tools in Microsoft Word should be more than satisfactory.

Or as mentioned...MS Paint.

MS Visio is good but I personally prefer just using the drawing tools in power point.

1. What is drawing software for mechanical engineering?

Drawing software for mechanical engineering refers to specialized computer programs used to create technical drawings and designs for mechanical systems and components. These drawings are typically used in the design, manufacturing, and maintenance of various mechanical systems.

2. What are the benefits of using drawing software for mechanical engineering?

Using drawing software for mechanical engineering offers several benefits, including increased accuracy and precision in designs, faster creation of drawings, easier editing and modifications, and the ability to create 3D models and simulations for better visualization and analysis.

3. What are the most commonly used drawing software programs for mechanical engineering?

Some of the most commonly used drawing software programs for mechanical engineering include AutoCAD, SolidWorks, CATIA, and Inventor. These programs offer a variety of tools and features specifically designed for mechanical engineering applications.

4. Can drawing software for mechanical engineering be used for other engineering disciplines?

While drawing software for mechanical engineering is primarily used for creating mechanical designs, it can also be used for other engineering disciplines such as civil and electrical engineering. However, these programs may have limitations and may not have all the necessary tools and features for these disciplines.

5. Is it necessary for a mechanical engineer to have knowledge of drawing software?

In today's digital age, knowledge of drawing software for mechanical engineering is highly beneficial for mechanical engineers. It allows for faster and more accurate design creation, and also helps in communicating design ideas and collaborating with other team members. However, it is not always necessary as some companies may have dedicated drafting teams that handle the technical drawings.