1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Drawing the Design of an SRAM Chip

1. Sep 28, 2013 #1
    Hello everyone,

I have come across a question that I am having quite a hard time with. I am to draw a design of an SRAM chip with an organization of 2M*128 SRAM that uses 1K*1K arrays of D latches. And then the questions ends with saying, "if this design is not possible then explain why." I have looked at other SRAM designs and have noticed that the multiplication of their d latch arrays, the resulting number is large enough to cover the first number of the SRAM, in this case 2M.

The other example I was looking at had a 32K*8 SRAM chip with 512*64 arrays of d latches. Assuming the array size is also in K, I multiplied 512 by 64 and came up with 32768. This covers the 32K of the SRAM chip. With my first example above, I multiplied 1K by 1K or 1000 * 1000 = 1000000. This does not cover the 2M of the SRAM chip. So am I to believe that it's not possible to design this chip? Also I could be totally wrong. I do not have that much experience in electrical engineering so forgive me.

Any help at all would be greatly appreciated in helping me!

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You should know in computers, 1K = 1024, so 1K x 1K = 1024^2 = 1048576

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted