Driving bistable relays with a 74HC541

• Thread starter gnurf
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is considering options for driving single-coil bistable relays at 5V/250Ω with a set and reset voltage of 3.75V. They are leaning towards using one 74HC541 octal buffer/driver per four relays, which is rated at ±25mA per output. Timing/speed is not a major concern and they are wondering if they have overlooked anything by not using H-bridges. The lack of information on this particular solution has made them consider adding protection diodes to avoid potential damage to the chip.
gnurf
I'm currently considering my options for driving a bunch of single-coil bistable (latching) 5V/250Ω relays which set and reset at 3.75V.

The solution I'm leaning on atm is one 74HC541 octal buffer/driver per four relays. The 74HC541 is rated at ±25mA per output, and if each output pair (four total) is grounded between pulses, I'm thinking there would be no need for any kickback protection either as the inductor would be shorted out at the end of the pulse.

Timing/speed is not really a factor—I'm just switching in/out some low-level stuff once in a while. I know H-bridges is normally the right tool for the job, but the lack of google hits for this particular solution made me wonder if I've missed something obvious here? Thanks.

4XqeuEn.png

Engineering news on Phys.org
I thought I posted an answer to this already ---- strange

There is nothing fundamentally wrong from building your own H bridge this way. But you are probably wrong about leaving off protection diodes (4 of them). Imagine what happens during any time when both buffers switch off while there is current in the coil, even for short transients. If both drivers turn off you will severly test the ESD diodes and anti-latchup protection of the chip (probably destroy it or progressively destroy it). There are faster versions that would have shorter transients.

The short delays matter, like the inverter that is probably between the inputs. One mistake and the chip is likely toast if there are no diodes. And they need to be fast diodes.

1. How do you connect a 74HC541 to a bistable relay?

The 74HC541 is connected to the bistable relay by using its output pins to drive the relay's input pins. The relay's output pins are then connected to the desired load.

2. What is the purpose of using a 74HC541 to drive a bistable relay?

The 74HC541 is used to provide a high current and voltage drive to the bistable relay, ensuring reliable switching of the relay.

3. Can the 74HC541 be used to drive multiple bistable relays?

Yes, the 74HC541 has multiple output pins that can be used to drive multiple bistable relays simultaneously.

4. How do you control the switching behavior of a bistable relay using the 74HC541?

The switching behavior of the bistable relay can be controlled by the logic levels applied to the input pins of the 74HC541. By changing the logic levels, the relay can be switched on or off.

5. What are the advantages of using a 74HC541 to drive a bistable relay?

The 74HC541 provides a reliable and efficient way to drive bistable relays, as it is designed specifically for high current and voltage applications. It also allows for easy control of the relay's switching behavior through logic signals.