Dubaija vu: Now it's the airlines.

• News
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, Shane said that the proposed rule would give control over some commercial decisions to foreign investors, which is something that some people are concerned about because of the potential for national security issues.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
...Under the existing regulations, foreign investors can have no influence on any operations of a U.S. airline in which they invest. Under the proposed rule, the majority U.S. investors could delegate to foreign investors control over some commercial decisions, such as what routes to fly and what aircraft to buy and sell, Shane said.[continued]
http://usinfo.state.gov/xarchives/display.html?p=washfile-english&y=2006&m=May&x=20060509174659ebyessedo0.882229&t=livefeeds/wf-latest.html

I can appreciate the desire for foreign investment, but again this gets into issues of national security. And the amount invested is still limited, which really makes one wonder. In any event, what's good for the corporations is not what's important, what matters is what's best for US security.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I thought we already came to the conclusion that xenophobia was a bad thing. This sounds like a Nazi talking-point, "foreigners need not apply".

Pengwuino said:
I thought we already came to the conclusion that xenophobia was a bad thing. This sounds like a Nazi talking-point, "foreigners need not apply".

What if this involved China and our airlines instead of Islamics. Would it still be a xenophobic Nazi talking-point?

I do believe China is a foreign country...sooooo...

Pengwuino said:
I do believe China is a foreign country...sooooo...

China didn't have any luck with Unocal or Maytag. There must be a lot of xenophoobicals out there somewhere.:smile:

Oops, China did get the maintenance contract on the new Boeing 777's.

Pengwuino said:

Okay then you tell me, where is the end of the free-for-all? Which of the following should yield control to a foreign agency? Should we job out the Presidency; how about the CIA or NSA; the military; police and fire services; immigration and border control; Airport security; weapons factories; FBI? Do you agree that in some cases there can be issues of national security, or do you think that we should just hand over anything to anyone willing to pay? Do we need to demonstrate that airlines are a national security issue?

And if you compare me or anyone else here to the Nazis again you will be penalized.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
Okay then you tell me, where is the end of the free-for-all? Which of the following should yield control to a foreign agency? Should we job out the Presidency; how about the CIA or NSA; the military; police and fire services; immigration and border control; Airport security; weapons factories; FBI? Do you agree that in some cases there can be issues of national security, or do you think that we should just hand over anything to anyone willing to pay? Do we need to demonstrate that airlines are a national security issue.

Good points and something that really bothers me. With all of the outsourcing combined with foreign companies, sometimes even state owned companies, buying into U.S. industries and services, what will we have left? At what point do we just say no.

1. What is "Dubaija vu"?

"Dubaija vu" is a play on the term "déjà vu" and refers to the rapid expansion and development of Dubai's airline industry, particularly in recent years.

2. How has Dubai's airline industry grown?

In the past decade, Dubai's airline industry has experienced significant growth, with the opening of the world's largest airport, Dubai International Airport, and the expansion of Emirates Airlines, which now operates flights to over 150 destinations worldwide.

3. What impact has this growth had on the global aviation industry?

The growth of Dubai's airline industry has had a major impact on the global aviation industry, as it has become a major hub for international travel and has increased competition among airlines.

4. What challenges has Dubai's airline industry faced?

One challenge that Dubai's airline industry has faced is the criticism of unfair competition, as the government of Dubai has heavily subsidized the growth of Emirates Airlines. Additionally, the industry has also faced challenges due to the COVID-19 pandemic and its impact on travel.

5. What does the future hold for Dubai's airline industry?

The future of Dubai's airline industry looks promising, with plans for the expansion of Dubai International Airport and the development of a new airport, Dubai World Central. However, the industry may also face challenges with sustainability and environmental concerns as it continues to grow.