1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dumb integral question, can be answered (or hinted) in 2 seconds no doubt.

1. Jan 22, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Ok, so I am doing areas between curves, but one of the functions is y=50/(25+x^2)

This is stupid, but I THINK I am having trouble finding the anti-derivative (I just know my final answer is wrong, but I'm pretty sure it is related to this.)

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok, so obvious I can't rewrite as a negative power, leads to division by 0. I don't think u substitution works here because the derivative of u is not there (or there but off by a constant factor). Integrating as a natural log seems fine, but does that make the anti-derivative 50 ln (25+x^2)? That doesn't seem right.

In all the problems I did for log anti-derivatives I don't remember what to do if the 1/x is multiplied by a constant. Suggestions?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 22, 2013 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you want to integrate y you need a trig substitution. Like x=5*tan(t).

4. Jan 22, 2013 #3
    So you're saying that I can't find the antiderivative of 50/(25+x^2) without using some kind of trig substitution? I don't think I've ever even encountered that in my classes yet.

5. Jan 22, 2013 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm afraid not. The antiderivative is an arctangent.

6. Jan 22, 2013 #5

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

For what values of x does the expression (25+x^2) = 0?

Hint: They're not real.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook