Are there any recommended down to Earth textbooks for learning calc II?

• Thread starter kuahji
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, a "dumbed down" calc II book is a simplified textbook that can be helpful for struggling or new students. Some students choose to use it because regular calc II books are too difficult or fast-paced for them. However, there are downsides such as not covering all material and potentially affecting understanding of calculus in the long run. The decision to use a "dumbed down" calc II book or stick with a regular one depends on the individual's needs and learning style. It's important for students to find a balance between comprehension and challenge in their calculus studies.
kuahji
Any recommendations for a down to Earth calc II book? For calc I I relied on The Calculus Lifesaver to explain the concepts to me in English. Is there anything for calc II the explains the concepts in English &/or is just a book full of extra problems (granted different books cover different topics)? The textbook I use, Thomas' Calculus seems pretty abstract at times & has very few examples.

Physics news on Phys.org

I can understand the frustration of trying to learn complex mathematical concepts from a textbook that may not be easily accessible. However, I would caution against using a "dumbed down" version of a textbook for any subject. In order to truly understand and apply mathematical concepts, it is important to have a strong foundation and thorough understanding of the material. Using a simplified version of a textbook may hinder your ability to fully grasp the subject matter.

That being said, there are certainly textbooks and resources available that may present the material in a more approachable manner. I would recommend looking for textbooks that have a focus on real-world applications and examples, as this can help make the material feel more relevant and tangible. It may also be helpful to supplement your textbook with online resources, such as video tutorials or practice problems, to get additional practice and support.

In terms of specific recommendations for a "down to Earth" calc II book, I would suggest checking out "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart, "Calculus: An Applied Approach" by Ron Larson, or "Calculus: Concepts and Contexts" by James Stewart. These textbooks are known for their clear explanations and real-world examples, and may be a good fit for your learning style.

Ultimately, the key to success in any subject, including calculus, is to actively engage with the material and seek out additional resources if needed. Don't be afraid to ask for help from your professors or classmates if you are struggling, and remember that practice makes perfect. Keep working hard and you will surely succeed in mastering calc II.

1. What is a "dumbed down" calc II book?

A "dumbed down" calc II book is a textbook that presents material in a simplified or less challenging manner compared to other calc II books. This can be helpful for students who are struggling with the subject or who are new to calculus.

2. Why do some students choose to use a "dumbed down" calc II book?

Some students may choose to use a "dumbed down" calc II book because they find the material in regular calc II books too difficult to understand. They may also find that the pace of a regular calc II course is too fast for them and they need more time to grasp the concepts.

3. Are there any downsides to using a "dumbed down" calc II book?

One downside to using a "dumbed down" calc II book is that it may not cover all the material that is typically covered in a regular calc II course. This can put students at a disadvantage if they need to take more advanced math courses in the future.

4. Can using a "dumbed down" calc II book affect my understanding of calculus?

Using a "dumbed down" calc II book may provide a basic understanding of calculus concepts, but it may not prepare students for more advanced courses or real-world applications. It's important for students to challenge themselves and strive for a deeper understanding of the subject.

5. Is it better to use a "dumbed down" calc II book or stick with a regular calc II book?

There is no one right answer to this question as it depends on the individual student's needs and learning style. Some students may benefit from using a "dumbed down" calc II book to build a strong foundation in the subject, while others may thrive with the challenge of a regular calc II book. It's important for students to find the right balance between comprehension and challenge in their calculus studies.