Dumbell collision, COM and rotational motion

In summary, the conversation discusses the effect of the location of impact on the subsequent center of mass motion in a collision between an object and a dumbbell in space. It is determined that the translational motion of the center of mass of the system will be unaffected by the collision. However, the amount of momentum and energy transferred, as well as the final velocity of the impacting mass, will vary depending on the location of impact. It is also noted that the analysis of the motion can become more complicated when considering different assumptions and factors, such as the elasticity of the collision and the geometry of the objects involved.
Sturk200
Say you've got a dumbbell-type object sitting still in space, and a mass comes in from below and strikes it. We've got a collision. If the mass strikes the dumbbell away from the center of mass, then it will cause the dumbbell to do two things (1) rotate, (2) the center of mass will move up. My question is, does the location at which the incoming mass strikes the dumbbell have any effect on the subsequent center of mass motion?

I know that striking further from the center of mass means the incoming projectile starts with rotational momentum, which is conserved, so the rotation is greater. But if I'm not mistaken, the COM motion only cares about linear momentum, not rotational, so that it wouldn't matter where on the object you strike it, the center of mass will always respond in the same way.

But then I get tripped up because this would mean that you can start with the same amount of energy in your incoming projectile, and get a more or less violent response from the collision simply from changing the geometry, which seems sort of like it would be violating energy conservation?

Does the discussion change it all for elastic, as compared to inelastic collisions?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sturk200 said:
My question is, does the location at which the incoming mass strikes the dumbbell have any effect on the subsequent center of mass motion?
The translational motion of the center of mass of the system (dumbbell + mass) will be unaffected by the collision.

Doc Al said:
The translational motion of the center of mass of the system (dumbbell + mass) will be unaffected by the collision.
Hi Doc Al:

My impression is that your answer assumed a different question to the one I think Sturk was asking. Would the velocity vector of the center of mass of the dumbbell relative to the projectile be different depending on where on the dumbbell the projectile hits it?

Regards,
Buzz

It depends on what is being held constant across the various collision possibilities. One natural assumption might be that the impact velocity is held constant and that the collision is 100% elastic in all cases.

With that assumption, the amount of momentum that is transferred will vary depending on the point of impact. The amount of energy that is transferred and the final velocity of the impacting mass will also vary depending on the point of impact.

[And I think I owe Doc Al an apology for jumping ahead of his intended exposition]

Last edited:
Buzz Bloom said:
My impression is that your answer assumed a different question to the one I think Sturk was asking.
I realize that, but I wanted to start with a statement that was easily accepted and go on from there.

Buzz Bloom said:
Would the velocity vector of the center of mass of the dumbbell relative to the projectile be different depending on where on the dumbbell the projectile hits it?
In general, yes.

If you assume that the impulse transmitted to the dumbbell is held constant, then the motion of the dumbbell's center of mass would not depend on the location of the impact. But you cannot assume that, in general.

Likes Buzz Bloom
Thanks for all the answers. I think I'm starting to be able to tease out the dependence on the impact location. Here is what I'm getting.

Assumptions: There is a dumbbell of length 2l, on the either end of which is a mass m. In addition, there is an incoming mass, also m, from below, with initial velocity v1i. The center of mass of the dumbbell is obviously directly in the center. Let the point of collision be a distance x from the center of mass. The collision is perfectly elastic, so both momentum and energy are conserved.

When I do energy and momentum conservation I get the following three equations:

v1i == 2 v2f - v1f (linear momentum)
v1i^2 == 2 v2f^2 + v1f^2 + 2 l^2 ω^2 (kinetic energy)
x v1i == 2 l^2 ω - x (v1i + v2f) (angular momentum),

where v1f is the velocity of the incoming (now outgoing) projectile after the collision, v2f is the velocity of the dumbbell center of mass after the collision, and ω is the angular velocity of the dumbbell after the collision. I can solve these for the unknowns and get some complicated expressions, all of which end up having some dependence on x. Is this a valid analysis of the motion?

[itex] \left\{\left\{\text{v2f}\to \frac{2 \left(-\text{v1i} x+\frac{14 l^4 \text{v1i} x}{12 l^4+l^2 x^2}-\frac{2 l^2 \sqrt{-l^2 \text{v1i}^2 x^2 \left(-l^2+4 x^2\right)}}{12 l^4+l^2 x^2}\right)}{x},\text{v1f}\to \frac{-5 \text{v1i} x+\frac{56 l^4 \text{v1i} x}{12 l^4+l^2 x^2}-\frac{8 l^2 \sqrt{-l^2 \text{v1i}^2 x^2 \left(-l^2+4 x^2\right)}}{12 l^4+l^2 x^2}}{x},\omega \to \frac{2 \left(7 l^2 \text{v1i} x-\sqrt{l^4 \text{v1i}^2 x^2-4 l^2 \text{v1i}^2 x^4}\right)}{12 l^4+l^2 x^2}\right\},\left\{\text{v2f}\to \frac{2 \left(-\text{v1i} x+\frac{14 l^4 \text{v1i} x}{12 l^4+l^2 x^2}+\frac{2 l^2 \sqrt{-l^2 \text{v1i}^2 x^2 \left(-l^2+4 x^2\right)}}{12 l^4+l^2 x^2}\right)}{x},\text{v1f}\to \frac{-5 \text{v1i} x+\frac{56 l^4 \text{v1i} x}{12 l^4+l^2 x^2}+\frac{8 l^2 \sqrt{-l^2 \text{v1i}^2 x^2 \left(-l^2+4 x^2\right)}}{12 l^4+l^2 x^2}}{x},\omega \to \frac{2 \left(7 l^2 \text{v1i} x+\sqrt{l^4 \text{v1i}^2 x^2-4 l^2 \text{v1i}^2 x^4}\right)}{12 l^4+l^2 x^2}\right\}\right\} [/itex]

I don't really know what that says. Is it correct to say that as x gets larger, v2f gets smaller? What about v1f?

1. What is a dumbbell collision?

A dumbbell collision is a type of collision that occurs when two objects with different masses and velocities collide, resulting in a change in their motion. In this type of collision, the two objects stick together and move as one after the collision, unlike an elastic collision where the objects bounce off each other.

2. How is the center of mass (COM) related to rotational motion?

The center of mass (COM) is the point where the entire mass of an object can be considered to be concentrated. In rotational motion, the COM is an important concept as it is the point around which an object rotates. This means that the motion of an object can be described by the motion of its COM.

3. What factors affect the outcome of a dumbbell collision?

The outcome of a dumbbell collision is affected by several factors, including the masses and velocities of the objects involved, the angle of collision, and the coefficient of restitution (a measure of how much energy is lost during the collision). The shape and size of the objects can also play a role.

4. How is angular momentum conserved in a dumbbell collision?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's rotational motion. In a dumbbell collision, the total angular momentum of the system is conserved, meaning that it remains constant before and after the collision. This is because there is no external torque acting on the system, so the angular momentum must be conserved.

5. Can the outcome of a dumbbell collision be predicted using mathematical equations?

Yes, the outcome of a dumbbell collision can be predicted using equations such as the conservation of momentum and energy. These equations take into account the masses, velocities, and other factors of the objects involved to determine the final motion of the system. However, in real-world scenarios, there may be factors that cannot be accounted for, leading to some discrepancies between the predicted and actual outcomes.