Can Someone Die and Come Back to Life?

• Thread starter decibel
  • Start date
In summary: III) and ascorbate. These findings suggest that iron(III)/ascorbate toxicity may be mediated through the generation of ROS and the induction of apoptosis.In summary, ROS were generated with a combination of iron(III) and ascorbate, or with hydrogen peroxide. Both toxic treatments resulted in a dose-dependent motoneuron death. Iron(III)/ascorbate toxicity was completely prevented with the hydrogen peroxide detoxifying enzyme catalase and partially prevented with the antioxidant vitamin E. SOD1, the enzyme that removes superoxide, was also upregulated with iron(III) and ascorbate. These findings suggest that iron(III)/asc
decibel
i know this may sound stupid but here it goes, ok if someone say, died from a bullut to the heart, how come u can't replace his heart with a new one, to get him to be alive again, i mean how do they do heart transplants, wut if they put a perfect organ in the place of the one that caused the death, how come u can't live again...

Biology news on Phys.org
In what way, the bullet went straight to his heart ?
Can you tell me again from the beginning ?
I know there were some promises made by Mickey, and then Mickey refused to give out some things and Meanie then died ? :confused: What promises did he make to lie Meanie? So many people keep trying to keep Bunny away from Mickey, that is a way of storing things for future use? I always wonder if there would be someone who can clearify ALL of my wonders here so that I can assure about my conclusion before you and in public that Bunny WILL NEVER ever be a STICKIE from then on...I am still looking for them. What happened exactly ?

What I meant was I am also wondering something similar to someone, and someone someone,,...etc

Sorry, i sound a little out of the main topic, I also think there is a organ transplant and that's all, so can anyone help clear my doubts ?
Thanks

Because your brain will die and once that's gone, there's no coming back.

And organs are not readily available for transplant, there is a long waiting list for people needing to get a transplant. In case of emergency medicine, there is no time to wait a year to get a new heart.

Then there might be a heart available, but the tissues must be immunocompatible for the donor heart to be accepted by the patient's body. If the organs are not matched properly, they will be rejected by the body. Again narrowing down the number of organs that are available for transplant.

Rapid cooling of organs limits free-radical damage resulting from lack of oxygen

decibel said:
i know this may sound stupid but here it goes, ok if someone say, died from a bullut to the heart, how come u can't replace his heart with a new one, to get him to be alive again, i mean how do they do heart transplants, wut if they put a perfect organ in the place of the one that caused the death, how come u can't live again...
Lack of sufficient oxygen causes free radicals (ironically, since too much oxygen causes the same thing to happen) to build up to toxic levels. Cells quickly die from these levels of free radicals. Rapid cooling of the organs, can allow cells and organs to live much longer in an oxygen deprived state. Rapid cooling of the organs combined with oxygen delivery, such as through the technique being developed at Critical Care Research, can allow a heart-attack victim to survive, after being without a heartbeat for ten minutes, by limiting free-radical damage.

• Cardiovascular disease is the leading cause of death in the United States.[1] According to various estimates, between 225,000 and 350,000 people die suddenly from cardiac arrest each year.[2] We can minimize our risk of a heart attack by exercising, watching our weight and blood pressure, and using appropriate dietary supplements-yet still some danger remains, and even very healthy people may go into arrest if they suffer unexpected accidents.

Unfortunately, paramedics often can't reach a cardiac patient quickly enough, if the emergency occurs outside of a hospital. Brain death begins after just 5 minutes, and becomes irreversible soon after that. This is why the survival rate after sudden cardiac arrest is a mere 5%.[3]

Still, in urban areas, paramedics can often reach a patient within ten minutes. If there were some way to double the time that a patient can last without a heartbeat, probably about 100,000 lives could be saved annually.

hitssquad said:
Lack of sufficient oxygen causes free radicals
Do you know why that is?

Nina would like to know what exactly free radicals are ? May Nina ask ? I REALLY REALLY REALLY would like to KNOW...:( True !. Please tell Nina, please...If you clear all these up, Nina will NEVER make questions AGAIN. That Nina promise you, honestly !

Thanks iansmith,

Toxic interaction of iron and vitamin C

iansmith said:
Iron is also another important atom that promotes the formation of ROS.
...Especially in the presence of vitamin C (ascorbic acid):

• ROS were generated with a combination of iron(III) and ascorbate, or with hydrogen peroxide. Both toxic treatments resulted in a dose-dependent motoneuron death. Iron(III)/ascorbate toxicity was completely prevented with the hydrogen peroxide detoxifying enzyme catalase and partially prevented with the antioxidant vitamin E. SOD1, the enzyme that removes superoxide, did not protect against iron(III)/ascorbate toxicity. ROS treatment caused apoptotic motoneuron death: low doses of iron(III)/ ascorbate or hydrogen peroxide resulted in complete apoptosis ending in nuclear fragmentation

Antioxidant protection against damage from ischemic events

Monique said:
hitssquad said:
Lack of sufficient oxygen causes free radicals
Do you know why that is?
...Not extempore. I recall that lack of sufficient oxygen is a) what causes damage to the heart after a heart attack; and b) what causes damage to the brain after a stroke or head trauma. I also recall that the neuroprotectant PBN has successfully been used to prevent brain damage in animals after experimentally-induced head trama and stroke, and that other antioxidants have successfully been used to protect the heart after experimentally-induced heart attack. To find articles on this, a good keyword combination to search for on PubMed is ischemia protects. Ischemia PBN is a good combination, too. PBN is a nitrone spin-trap (n- tert-butyl-alpha-phenylnitrone). Many life extensionists take it, or its derivative chemical NtBHA, for prophylactic protection against normal aging and unforeseeable ischemic events.

If you could somehow administer PBN to accident victims at the scenes of accidents, much trauma-related organ damage might be avoided.

but I am saying, IF everything was ready, (new heart and everything), after the person died, could they bring him/her back

Last edited:
There's a bit of a caveat in the medical definitions of death. The definitions say that death is defined as the irreversible ceasing of heart and/or brain function (depending on the specific definition). Because of this, if the person is revived, then medically speaking, he was never dead in the first place.

decibel, your questions sound more of philosophy than biolgy and I think that Philosophical forum may be the most fitted place.

And organs are not readily available for transplant, there is a long waiting list for people needing to get a transplant. In case of emergency medicine, there is no time to wait a year to get a new heart.

Don't they have an artificial heart now?

1. Can someone actually die and come back to life?

Yes, it is possible for someone to die and come back to life. This phenomenon is known as "clinical death" and refers to a temporary cessation of vital functions such as breathing and heart rate. However, this does not necessarily mean that the person was dead in the permanent sense, as their body can still be revived and their vital functions restored through medical interventions.

2. How does someone come back to life after being declared dead?

When someone is declared clinically dead, it means that their vital functions have stopped, but their brain cells are still alive. This is because the brain requires a constant supply of oxygen and nutrients to function, and without these, brain cells will begin to die within minutes. Therefore, immediate medical interventions such as CPR, defibrillation, and administering oxygen can help restore the person's vital functions and bring them back to life.

3. Are there any documented cases of people coming back to life after being declared dead?

Yes, there have been numerous documented cases of people being declared clinically dead and then being revived through medical interventions. These cases range from drowning victims to heart attack survivors. However, it is important to note that not everyone who is declared clinically dead can be revived, as this depends on the cause of death and the timing and effectiveness of medical interventions.

4. Can a person's near-death experience be considered as coming back to life?

Near-death experiences (NDEs) are subjective experiences that some people report after being close to death or being declared clinically dead. These experiences can range from seeing a bright light to encountering deceased loved ones. While NDEs can be a powerful and meaningful experience for those who have them, they do not necessarily mean that the person has physically died and come back to life. NDEs are still a topic of ongoing research and debate in the scientific community.

5. Is there any scientific explanation for how someone can come back to life after being declared dead?

Yes, there are scientific explanations for how someone can come back to life after being declared dead. As mentioned earlier, immediate medical interventions can help restore a person's vital functions and bring them back to life. Additionally, advancements in medical technology and techniques have also played a significant role in increasing the success rate of reviving clinically dead individuals. However, the exact mechanisms and processes involved in this phenomenon are still being studied and researched by scientists.