Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dying and coming back

1. Jun 26, 2004 #1
    i know this may sound stupid but here it goes, ok if someone say, died from a bullut to the heart, how come u cant replace his heart with a new one, to get him to be alive again, i mean how do they do heart transplants, wut if they put a perfect organ in the place of the one that caused the death, how come u cant live again...
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2004 #2
    In what way, the bullet went straight to his heart ?
    Can you tell me again from the beginning ?
    I know there were some promises made by Mickey, and then Mickey refused to give out some things and Meanie then died ? :confused: What promises did he make to lie Meanie? So many people keep trying to keep Bunny away from Mickey, that is a way of storing things for future use? I always wonder if there would be someone who can clearify ALL of my wonders here so that I can assure about my conclusion before you and in public that Bunny WILL NEVER ever be a STICKIE from then on...I am still looking for them. What happened exactly ?

What I meant was I am also wondering something similar to someone, and someone someone,,......etc
  4. Jun 27, 2004 #3
    Sorry, i sound a little out of the main topic, I also think there is a organ transplant and thats all, so can anyone help clear my doubts ?
  5. Jun 27, 2004 #4
    Because your brain will die and once that's gone, there's no coming back.
  6. Jun 27, 2004 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And organs are not readily available for transplant, there is a long waiting list for people needing to get a transplant. In case of emergency medicine, there is no time to wait a year to get a new heart.

Then there might be a heart available, but the tissues must be immunocompatible for the donor heart to be accepted by the patient's body. If the organs are not matched properly, they will be rejected by the body. Again narrowing down the number of organs that are available for transplant.
  7. Jun 27, 2004 #6
    Rapid cooling of organs limits free-radical damage resulting from lack of oxygen

Lack of sufficient oxygen causes free radicals (ironically, since too much oxygen causes the same thing to happen) to build up to toxic levels. Cells quickly die from these levels of free radicals. Rapid cooling of the organs, can allow cells and organs to live much longer in an oxygen deprived state. Rapid cooling of the organs combined with oxygen delivery, such as through the technique being developed at Critical Care Research, can allow a heart-attack victim to survive, after being without a heartbeat for ten minutes, by limiting free-radical damage.

• Cardiovascular disease is the leading cause of death in the United States.[1] According to various estimates, between 225,000 and 350,000 people die suddenly from cardiac arrest each year.[2] We can minimize our risk of a heart attack by exercising, watching our weight and blood pressure, and using appropriate dietary supplements-yet still some danger remains, and even very healthy people may go into arrest if they suffer unexpected accidents.

Unfortunately, paramedics often can't reach a cardiac patient quickly enough, if the emergency occurs outside of a hospital. Brain death begins after just 5 minutes, and becomes irreversible soon after that. This is why the survival rate after sudden cardiac arrest is a mere 5%.[3]

Still, in urban areas, paramedics can often reach a patient within ten minutes. If there were some way to double the time that a patient can last without a heartbeat, probably about 100,000 lives could be saved annually.
  8. Jun 27, 2004 #7

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Do you know why that is?
  9. Jun 27, 2004 #8
    Nina would like to know what exactly free radicals are ? May Nina ask ? I REALLY REALLY REALLY would like to KNOW...:( True !. Please tell Nina, please...If you clear all these up, Nina will NEVER make questions AGAIN. That Nina promise you, honestly !
  10. Jun 27, 2004 #9

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

11. Jun 27, 2004 #10
    Thanks iansmith,
  12. Jun 27, 2004 #11
    Toxic interaction of iron and vitamin C

...Especially in the presence of vitamin C (ascorbic acid):

• ROS were generated with a combination of iron(III) and ascorbate, or with hydrogen peroxide. Both toxic treatments resulted in a dose-dependent motoneuron death. Iron(III)/ascorbate toxicity was completely prevented with the hydrogen peroxide detoxifying enzyme catalase and partially prevented with the antioxidant vitamin E. SOD1, the enzyme that removes superoxide, did not protect against iron(III)/ascorbate toxicity. ROS treatment caused apoptotic motoneuron death: low doses of iron(III)/ ascorbate or hydrogen peroxide resulted in complete apoptosis ending in nuclear fragmentation
  13. Jun 27, 2004 #12
    Antioxidant protection against damage from ischemic events

...Not extempore. I recall that lack of sufficient oxygen is a) what causes damage to the heart after a heart attack; and b) what causes damage to the brain after a stroke or head trauma. I also recall that the neuroprotectant PBN has successfully been used to prevent brain damage in animals after experimentally-induced head trama and stroke, and that other antioxidants have successfully been used to protect the heart after experimentally-induced heart attack. To find articles on this, a good keyword combination to search for on PubMed is ischemia protects. Ischemia PBN is a good combination, too. PBN is a nitrone spin-trap (n- tert-butyl-alpha-phenylnitrone). Many life extensionists take it, or its derivative chemical NtBHA, for prophylactic protection against normal aging and unforeseeable ischemic events.

If you could somehow administer PBN to accident victims at the scenes of accidents, much trauma-related organ damage might be avoided.
  14. Jun 27, 2004 #13
    but im saying, IF everything was ready, (new heart and everything), after the person died, could they bring him/her back
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2004
  15. Jun 27, 2004 #14

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

There's a bit of a caveat in the medical definitions of death. The definitions say that death is defined as the irreversible ceasing of heart and/or brain function (depending on the specific definition). Because of this, if the person is revived, then medically speaking, he was never dead in the first place.
  16. Jun 27, 2004 #15
    decibel, your questions sound more of philosophy than biolgy and I think that Philosophical forum may be the most fitted place.
  17. Jun 28, 2004 #16
    Don't they have an artificial heart now?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?