How Can I Replace My Static Website with a Dynamic Website Using PHP & MySQL?

In summary, you will need to make sure that the server you're moving the website to supports php and sql, and you can either use your own machine as a server or use a dynamic DNS service to point a static domain name to a dynamic ip address. You can also use your hosting company to run the website.
Mike Phan
Hi,

I already have a static website, and now I am trying to design a dynamic website.
I used Apache, PHP, and MySQL and setup on my computer (hostname = localhost) and tested my member directory database. It worked fine that I can add, edit and delete, and update the data from table.

I am trying to public and test it from my current yahoo small bussiness host. What should I do? Anyone can help step by step how to do this?

Thanks for any help!

Mike

Technology news on Phys.org
The first thing you'll need to do is to make sure that the server you're moving it to supports php and sql. In college, they gave us folders to make personal websites and had php enabled, but sql was not.

Have you thought of just using your machine as a server? Assuming you can get the security locked down, there are dynamic dns services that you can get to point a static domain name to a dynamic ip address.

Thanks minger.

I called yahoo, he said that the host name is "mysql", so I think the MySQL will be supported. Normally, people use their own machines as servers, you meant?
I have account with Yahoo (small bussiness domain) and already posted my static website there. I am thinking of replacing it with the dynamic website. How do you think? Is it possible?

Mike

mySQL is a free, open-source sql implementation. I personally use it at home along with php to run a dynamic intranet (movies, recipes, etc). It is pretty easy to pick up and use. As a GUI, I use phpmyadmin which makes things a LOT easier.

As far as using your own computer, you can run apache (another free open source program) to serve websites. If you forward your ports correctly through your router, at any time, you could type in your external IP address and "see" your website.

The only problem is that internet companies change your IP address so frequently that it doesn't work. However, there are services (more free!) that can keep track of that dynamic ip and you can then just keep track of a single domain name.

But...if you have hosting, you might as well use it.

I bought a domain name from Yahoo small bussiness with HTML (static) web posted.
Now I want to replace it with a dynamic web so that I can sell my products online, and I want to keep all information (user infor and product infor) on my own machine instead of on Yahoo web server. Is it possible? Is it so complicated? What I need to do?

Thanks, minger!

1. What is a dynamic website?

A dynamic website is a website that uses programming languages, such as PHP and MySQL, to generate content on the fly. This means that the content of the website is not pre-written and stored, but rather pulled from a database and assembled when a user requests it. This allows for more personalized and interactive content.

2. What is the role of PHP in a dynamic website?

PHP is a server-side scripting language that is commonly used in dynamic websites. It is responsible for processing and generating dynamic content, interacting with databases, and handling user input. PHP allows for the creation of dynamic and interactive websites, making it a popular choice for web development.

3. What is the role of MySQL in a dynamic website?

MySQL is a database management system that is often used in conjunction with PHP to create dynamic websites. It is responsible for storing and organizing the website's data, such as user information, content, and settings. MySQL allows for efficient retrieval and storage of data, making it an essential component of dynamic websites.

4. What are the advantages of using a dynamic website?

Dynamic websites offer several advantages over static websites. They allow for more personalized and interactive content, making the user experience more engaging. They also make it easier to update and manage website content, as it is stored in a database rather than hardcoded into the website's code. Dynamic websites are also more scalable, as they can handle large amounts of data and traffic without affecting performance.

5. What are the potential drawbacks of using a dynamic website?

One potential drawback of using dynamic websites is the increased complexity and development time. Dynamic websites require more advanced programming skills and may take longer to build compared to static websites. They also require a server-side scripting language, such as PHP, which may not be supported by all web hosting providers. Additionally, dynamic websites may be more vulnerable to security threats if proper precautions are not taken to secure the server and database.