Dynamics of Lorentz force on a current carrying wire

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of a current carrying wire in a magnetic field and the effects of the Lorentz force and electric fields on its motion. The participants question the idea of being able to determine the velocity of a uniform magnetic field in the universe and whether the back-EMF experienced by motors is due to generator action. They also discuss the possibility of finding one's velocity relative to the magnetic source.
bob012345
Gold Member
Hello all,

I've been pondering a problem with a current carrying wire in a magnetic field. The Lorentz force is easy, ILB,
with a velocity 90 degrees to the B field. So let the force accelerate the wire. Assume only one segment of the wire that has current in one direction, say up, is in the field and the field is out of the page (screen!). The force is to the left. It now moves. For a fixed current, the force should be constant and thus the acceleration.

Now, let's look at it from a reference frame co-moving with the wire. At some instant we see an electric field pointing down, against the current flow according to how fields transform. The magnetic field is virtually the same for low velocity. It's clear that to maintain the acceleration we must maintain the current and to do that we must overcome the increasing electric field opposing the current flow.

First, is this correct? Second, does the electric field have to oppose the current? Does a current carrying wire immersed into an electric field have to be affected since conductors usually keep external fields out?

I'm bothered by the idea that if I found myself in a infinite uniform magentic field in space from an unknown source, why should I be able to compute my relative speed to it just by turning on a current in a wire? If the universe was filled with a uniform magnetic field, we could always know our velocity which seems wrong. I'm also bothered by the fact that I shouldn't have to transform into the moving frame to know what happens. I should be able to know all by staying in the original reference frame. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
bob012345 said:
Isn't the opposing electric field the back-EMF experienced by all motors due to generator action?
The source of current must overcome this BEMF and must do work to provide KE for the moving wire.
Regarding the question about finding velocity in the Universe, I think you could find your velocity relative to the magnetic source.

tech99 said:
Isn't the opposing electric field the back-EMF experienced by all motors due to generator action?
The source of current must overcome this BEMF and must do work to provide KE for the moving wire.
Regarding the question about finding velocity in the Universe, I think you could find your velocity relative to the magnetic source.
Thanks. Back emf is usually attributed to Lenz's law which is dependent on changing magnetic flux. In my scenario, the flux is constant (or so I think it is). It should be possible to evaluate what will happen from the original frame. For instance, if the flux changed with the observed velocity that would be the case. Also, if an electric charge is accelerated by a constant electric field parallel to its motion, there appears that no such counter effects which will slow it down such as a relativistic transformation that provides a counter force. Interesting the magnetic case is not symmetric.

Last edited:

What is the Lorentz force?

The Lorentz force is a fundamental force that describes the interaction between a charged particle and an external electromagnetic field. It is given by the equation F = q(E + v x B), where q is the charge of the particle, E is the electric field, v is the velocity of the particle, and B is the magnetic field.

How does the Lorentz force affect a current carrying wire?

When a wire carries an electric current, it also generates a magnetic field around it. This magnetic field interacts with the external magnetic field, resulting in a force on the wire known as the Lorentz force. The direction of this force is perpendicular to both the current direction and the external magnetic field direction.

What is the direction of the Lorentz force on a current carrying wire?

The direction of the Lorentz force on a current carrying wire is given by the right-hand rule. If you point your right thumb in the direction of the current, and your fingers in the direction of the external magnetic field, then the direction of the Lorentz force will be perpendicular to both your thumb and fingers.

How does the strength of the current affect the Lorentz force?

The strength of the current affects the Lorentz force on a wire by determining the magnitude of the force. The larger the current, the stronger the force will be. This can be seen in the Lorentz force equation, where the current is represented by the velocity of the charged particles.

What are some real-world applications of the Lorentz force on current carrying wires?

The Lorentz force on current carrying wires has many practical applications, such as in electric motors, generators, and particle accelerators. It is also used in devices like loudspeakers, where the interaction between the magnetic field and the current produces sound waves. Additionally, the Lorentz force is crucial in understanding and developing technologies such as MRI machines and maglev trains.