Dynamics Problem (Find Angular Velocity)

In summary, The person is seeking help with a question and has attached their working so far. They are trying to integrate with respect to theta and are stuck. Another person suggests using an energy method and the original person has solved the question using this approach. However, they are still interested in solving it using their original method, but it involves using Jacobi elliptic functions which may not be worth the trouble. The second person suggests using an integrating factor to find theta dot as a function of theta.
parislad
Hope you can offer me some help with this question - I feel close to getting it myself but have spent ages looking at it now.

Question and working so far is attached.

I think what I need to do to enable me to perform the integral is to get theta as a function of time, or instead somehow convert the integral so I am integrating with respect to theta (with limits 0 and pi/2 ). But I am stuck at this point.

n.b. Angular velocity omega is written as theta_dot in my notation.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Attachments

• working.jpg
    working.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 681
Physics news on Phys.org
Try using an energy method: Potential energy of the cocked spring is equal to gravitational potential energy of the upright rod plus kinetic energy (translational & rotational) of the moving rod.

obafgkmrns, thanks.

I've solved the question using your recommended approach , and I've attached the working just for closure.

Attachments

• img010.jpg
    img010.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 529
Although if anyone does know how they would solve it via something like my original route, it would still be useful.

You can do it using your original approach of solving the equation of motion, but the solution is in terms of Jacobi elliptic functions. It's just not worth the trouble!

Brief description of elliptic functions here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pendulum_(mathematics ) and here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacobi_elliptic_functions

Last edited by a moderator:
It occurred to me that I may have misunderstood your original approach to solving the problem. If all you need is angular velocity (theta dot), then you can derive an equation for theta dot by using an integrating factor. When you multiply all terms by theta dot, you can integrate the equation explicitly to find theta dot as a function of theta.

1. What is angular velocity and how is it different from linear velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of how quickly an object is rotating around an axis. It is different from linear velocity because it takes into account the direction of rotation, while linear velocity only considers the speed of an object in a straight line.

2. How is angular velocity calculated?

Angular velocity is calculated by dividing the change in angle by the change in time. The formula for angular velocity is ω = Δθ/Δt, where ω is angular velocity, Δθ is the change in angle, and Δt is the change in time.

3. What units is angular velocity measured in?

Angular velocity is typically measured in radians per second (rad/s) or degrees per second (°/s). These units represent the amount of rotation in a given unit of time.

4. Can angular velocity be negative?

Yes, angular velocity can be negative. A negative angular velocity indicates that an object is rotating in the opposite direction of a positive angular velocity. For example, if an object is rotating counterclockwise with a positive angular velocity, a negative angular velocity would mean it is rotating clockwise.

5. How does the moment of inertia affect the angular velocity of an object?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. The larger the moment of inertia, the harder it is to change the object's angular velocity. This means that an object with a larger moment of inertia will have a slower angular velocity compared to an object with a smaller moment of inertia, assuming the same amount of torque is applied.