Dynamics question- finding m in terms of rho, r and v

In summary, the conversation discussed a toy rocket consisting of a plastic bottle partially filled with water and compressed air. The focus was on determining the mass of water ejected per unit time from the nozzle and the rate of change of momentum of the water. The mass flowrate, \dot{m}, was found to be equal to \rho*\pir²*v, with \rho representing density, \pir² representing the area of the nozzle, and v representing the velocity of the water relative to the nozzle. The conversation also mentioned the importance of using mass flowrate instead of volumetric flowrate for gases in rockets due to changing densities. The second part of the conversation discussed the relevant equations for momentum, which were not provided.
Boogeyman

Homework Statement

A toy rocket consists of a plastic bottle which is partially filled with water. the space above the water contains compressed air.

At one instant during the flight of the rocket, water is of density[tex]\rho[/tex] is forced through the nozzle of radius r at speed v relative to the nozzle. Determine, in terms of [tex]\rho[/tex], r and v:

1. the mass of the water ejected per unit time from the nozzle

2. the rate of change of momentum of the water.

Homework Equations

F=ma
[tex]\rho[/tex]=mass/volume
Area of nozzle through which water passes=[tex]\pi[/tex]r2

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I did for part 1:
[tex]\rho[/tex]=m/volume
therefore, m=[tex]\rho[/tex] x volume

RE: area through which water exits:[tex]\pi[/tex]r2
therefore, m=([tex]\pi[/tex]r2)([tex]\rho[/tex]) x length

I think the mass per unit time means divide by time?

m/t=[([tex]\pi[/tex]r2)([tex]\rho[/tex]) x length]/t

I do not know how to do part 2..

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, well for number 1, i think you approached it a little too complicated. When the want mass per unit time, that is the mass flowrate. Volume per unit time is the volumetric flowrate. Mass flow rate is often used for gasses in rockets for example, because even if the density changes, the mass doesn't, whereas, the volume will change with changing density.

That aside,
m=rho*V
Q=Av (Volumetric flowrate is Area of nozzle times velocity of fluid, v, with a constant density)
mass flowrate, [tex]\dot{m}[/tex]=rho*Q or rho*A*v
So mass flowrate, [tex]\dot{m}[/tex]=[tex]\frac{dm}{dt}[/tex]=rho*[tex]\pi[/tex]r²*v
where [tex]\frac{dm}{dt}[/tex] is change in mass with time, or mass flowrate.

For part two, you need the relevant equations for momentum, what are they?

Thanks, I got it.

1. How do I find the mass (m) in terms of density (rho), radius (r), and velocity (v)?

To find the mass in terms of these variables, you can use the formula m = (4/3) * pi * rho * r^3 * v. This equation is derived from the formula for the volume of a sphere, which is (4/3) * pi * r^3, and multiplying it by the density (rho) and velocity (v).

2. Can I use this formula for any shape or object?

No, this formula is specifically for finding the mass of a spherical object. Other shapes and objects may require different formulas.

3. How do I know what values to use for rho, r, and v?

In order to use this formula, you will need to know the values for density, radius, and velocity of the object you are calculating the mass for. These values can be obtained through experimentation or research.

4. Are there any limitations to using this formula?

This formula assumes that the object is a perfect sphere and does not take into account any irregularities or imperfections. Additionally, the density, radius, and velocity must be in consistent units for accurate results.

5. How can I use this formula in real-world applications?

This formula can be used in a variety of fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy to calculate the mass of spherical objects. It can also be used in industries that deal with spherical objects, such as the production of ball bearings or tennis balls.