1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dynamics trajectory motion help

1. Sep 2, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    "In a movie scene involving a car chase, a car goes over the top of ramp A and lands a B below. Determine the speed of the car at A if the car is to cover distance d=180ft for [itex]\alpha[/itex] =15° and [itex]\beta[/itex] = 30°. Neglect aerodynamic effects.

2. Relevant equations
    Word.doc is the problem picture.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have calculated the distance the car moves the in X, and falls in the Y. But other than that I am rather lost mathematically.

The hint for the problem states: "The required initial speed can be found from the intersection of the parabolic trajectory and the straight line whose slope in determined by tanβ"

Only problem is I have no idea as to what line tanβ is the slope of.
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2013 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Hi UCF_Martin, [Broken]

As the car becomes airborne at point A, two things happen: (i) it continues to travel horizontally with the same horizontal component of speed as it had at point A, and (ii) its vertical motion is controlled by gravity.

You should be able to quote in your sleep a set of equations describing motion under a constant acceleration (g = 32.2 ft/sec).

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted