[Dynamics] Vibration response problem.

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with finding the correct solution to a vibration question and the elements of a displacement meter used to study motion. The question involves determining the range of the spring constant k for a given scenario, and the conversation includes the attempt at solving it. The solution is found to be 0 < k < 28.7 N/m.
fonfon1210
1. The problem statement

I have this vibration question, in which i have approach to solve and I came very close to the actual answer but not accuracy correct solution.

My work-out solution is 0< k < 28.7 N/m

And the correct answer is 0 < k < 27.4 N/m

I have tried everythink checking the number or around ups etc. But I can not seem to get 27.4 N/m.

I appreciate people proof-read, and If they could indentity small error in my working-out

Thanks.....

2. Question & my attempt

the elements of a displacement meter used to study the motion
yB = bsinωt of the base. The motion of the mass relative to the frame is recorded on the rotating drum. If L1= 360 mm, L2= 480 mm, L3= 600 mm, m = 0.9 kg, c = 1.4 Ns/m and ω = 10 rad/s, Determine the range of the spring constant k over which the magnitude of the recorded relative displacement is less than 1.5b. It is assumed that the ratio ω/ωn must remain greater than unity.

My approach: See the attach file, since is headache to copy in this forum.

Appreciate any input, cheers

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
.3. Your work My approach:Let the base displacement be bsinωt.Relative displacement of mass with respect to base frame is given by,Ym = (L1 sinωt + L2 sin2ωt + L3 sin3ωt)The ratio ω/ωn must remain greater than unity, so we haveω/ωn = (k/m)^0.5 > 1or, k > mω2Now, magnitude of the recorded relative displacement is less than 1.5b, so we have|Ym| < 1.5bor,|L1 sinωt + L2 sin2ωt + L3 sin3ωt| < 1.5bBy solving this equation, we get k < 28.7 N/mSo, the range of the spring constant k over which the magnitude of the recorded relative displacement is less than 1.5b is given by0 < k < 28.7 N/m

1. What is a vibration response problem?

A vibration response problem is a phenomenon in which a structure or system experiences vibrations due to an external force or disturbance. This can occur in various industries, such as aerospace, automotive, and civil engineering, and can lead to structural damage or failure if not properly addressed.

2. What are the main causes of a vibration response problem?

Vibration response problems can be caused by a variety of factors, including mechanical imbalances, resonance, external forces, and natural frequencies of the structure. Other possible causes include improper design, material fatigue, and environmental conditions.

3. How is a vibration response problem measured?

Vibration response problems can be measured using various techniques, such as accelerometers, strain gauges, and laser vibrometers. These instruments measure the amplitude, frequency, and direction of vibrations to determine the severity of the problem.

4. How can a vibration response problem be prevented?

There are several methods to prevent or mitigate vibration response problems, including proper design and materials selection, regular maintenance and inspections, and implementing vibration isolation or damping techniques. It is also important to understand and consider the potential for vibrations during the design and construction process.

5. What are the consequences of ignoring a vibration response problem?

Ignoring a vibration response problem can lead to serious consequences, such as structural damage, decreased performance and efficiency, and even catastrophic failure. It can also result in safety hazards for workers and the general public, as well as financial losses for the company or organization.