1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

E field at point from graph of V and x?

1. Nov 4, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

test.png
    2. Relevant equations

E = -dV/dx ?

3. The attempt at a solution

not really sure how to do this problem. I think I understand E field is negative of slope of V/x, but i'm getting it wrong. just looking at it, I see V=-2 at x=7.5. so the E field to right of x= 5 is y2-y1/x2-x1= 2/2.5 = 0.8. to the left of it I guess it's -0.8 (V/m). I tried both answer but its wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 4, 2014 #2

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Finding the slope is the correct approach. So in that respect you are on the right track.

But the way in which you are going about finding the slope is too inaccurate. There's a better way.

Can you express V(x) in terms of a sine function? In other words, if

V(x) = A sin(kx),

can you find A and k ?

4. Nov 5, 2014 #3
    oh yeah, I didn't think of that. V(x) = 2*sin(0.2*pi*x), so I guess I take the derivative of this to find E field? dV/dx = 2*0.2*pi*cos(0.2*pi*x), and at x=5, E=-dV/dx=1.26?

5. Nov 5, 2014 #4

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

That looks correct to me! :)

(Don't forget to include the proper units in the final answer through. [Edit: then again, the problem statement didn't specify the units of V nor x. So nevermind about that, I guess.])

Last edited: Nov 5, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted