E-Field immediately outside a charged conductor

In summary: When is a plane infinite? In this case, as in many other similar situations when you are doing physics, one should not imagine a mathematical infinity. Here "infinite" means "very large". Of course "very large" is meaningless unless you have a scaling distance to compare against. The idea behind the boundary condition is that it holds for any finite conductor if you are at a scaling distance ##\delta## above its surface that is very small relative to the local radius of curvature, ##R##. In the limit ##\delta\rightarrow 0## (##\delta <<R##), you are arbitrarily close to the surface which looks like an "infinite plane" much like the Earth looks flat when
llha
Griffith's says this, and I'm not exactly sure why...
1610566876165.png

If you had a solid, spherical, and externally induced conductor... Does this mean that IMMEDIATELY outside, when you're infinitesimally close to the surface, E looks like this? If you surround the entire conductor with a Gaussian surface (immediately outside, so not enclosing whatever's inducing the conductor), assuming the conductor is externally induced, wouldn't E = 0 because the net enclosed charge = 0? As you can tell, I'm confused.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The integrated field over a closed surface immediately around the sphere is zero because the field directions cancel. An element of field pointing up at the top,e.g., is canceled by a similar element at bottom pointing down.
EDIT: Sorry, I misread the post. Please disregard what I wrote.

Last edited:
llha said:
If you surround the entire conductor with a Gaussian surface (immediately outside, so not enclosing whatever's inducing the conductor), assuming the conductor is externally induced, wouldn't E = 0 because the net enclosed charge = 0? As you can tell, I'm confused.

Is the conductor you're describing uncharged overall? If so, then you can write ##\oint_{\Sigma} \mathbf{E} \cdot \mathbf{n} dS = 0##, however note that this does not constrain ##\mathbf{E} = \mathbf{0}## anywhere outside! Where ##\sigma < 0## the field just outside the conductor will point toward the conductor [counted as negative flux through ##\Sigma##], and where ##\sigma > 0## the field just outside the conductor will point away from the conductor [counted as positive flux through ##\Sigma##]. If the conductor is uncharged, then when integrated over the whole surface, these contributions cancel exactly.

etotheipi said:
Is the conductor you're describing uncharged overall? If so, then you can write ##\oint_{\Sigma} \mathbf{E} \cdot \mathbf{n} dS = 0##, however note that this does not constrain ##\mathbf{E} = \mathbf{0}## anywhere outside! Where ##\sigma < 0## the field just outside the conductor will point toward the conductor [counted as negative flux through ##\Sigma##], and where ##\sigma > 0## the field just outside the conductor will point away from the conductor [counted as positive flux through ##\Sigma##]. If the conductor is uncharged, then when integrated over the whole surface, these contributions cancel exactly.
Okay, thank you! I think I understand this better. But I'm still confused why Griffith's says E = δ/ε0n_hat immediately outside a conductor... Wouldn't this only apply for conductors that are infinite planes?

llha said:
Okay, thank you! I think I understand this better. But I'm still confused why Griffith's says E = δ/ε0n_hat immediately outside a conductor... Wouldn't this only apply for conductors that are infinite planes?

It's a general result, that at any discontinuity with surface charge density ##\sigma##, the normal component of the field undergoes a change of ##\sigma / \varepsilon_0##. Consider a tiny Gaussian pillbox that cuts through the surface, and suppose that the normal components of the fields on either side are ##E_1 \mathbf{z}## and ##E_2 \mathbf{z}##, where ##\mathbf{z}## is a unit vector normal to the surface [we can, here, ignore the tangential components (which are continuous), because they will not contribute to flux]. You have$$\int_{\Sigma} \mathbf{E} \cdot d\mathbf{S} = E_2 A - E_1 A = \frac{\sigma A}{\varepsilon_0} \implies E_2 = E_1 + \frac{\sigma}{\varepsilon_0}$$You can see that the normal component of the field has incremented by an amount ##\sigma / \varepsilon_0##.

At the surface of a conductor (of any shape!), the field inside is zero, so just outside some point on the conductor the field is going to have normal component ##\sigma / \varepsilon_0##.

With your example of an infinite, thin charged plane, say occupying the y-z plane, then the field on one side is ##- (\sigma/ 2 \varepsilon_0) \mathbf{x}##, whilst the field on the other side is ##(\sigma/ 2 \varepsilon_0) \mathbf{x}##. Notice that, again, the increment in the field is ##(\sigma/ 2 \varepsilon_0) \mathbf{x} - (- \sigma/ 2 \varepsilon_0) \mathbf{x} = (\sigma / \varepsilon_0) \mathbf{x}##.

Likes llha
llha said:
Wouldn't this only apply for conductors that are infinite planes?
When is a plane infinite? In this case, as in many other similar situations when you are doing physics, one should not imagine a mathematical infinity. Here "infinite" means "very large". Of course "very large" is meaningless unless you have a scaling distance to compare against. The idea behind the boundary condition is that it holds for any finite conductor if you are at a scaling distance ##\delta## above its surface that is very small relative to the local radius of curvature, ##R##. In the limit ##\delta\rightarrow 0## (##\delta <<R##), you are arbitrarily close to the surface which looks like an "infinite plane" much like the Earth looks flat when you are a meter or so above its surface.

Likes hutchphd

1. What is an E-Field?

An E-Field, short for electric field, is a physical field that surrounds a charged object and exerts a force on other charged objects within its vicinity.

2. How is the E-Field immediately outside a charged conductor determined?

The E-Field immediately outside a charged conductor is determined by the charge and shape of the conductor, as well as the distance from the surface of the conductor.

3. What is the direction of the E-Field immediately outside a charged conductor?

The direction of the E-Field immediately outside a charged conductor is perpendicular to the surface of the conductor, pointing away from a positively charged conductor and towards a negatively charged conductor.

4. How does the E-Field immediately outside a charged conductor affect nearby objects?

The E-Field immediately outside a charged conductor can cause nearby objects to experience a force, either attractive or repulsive, depending on the charge of the object and the direction of the E-Field.

5. Can the E-Field immediately outside a charged conductor be shielded?

Yes, the E-Field immediately outside a charged conductor can be shielded by placing a conductor between the charged conductor and the object being shielded. This conductor will redistribute the charge and cancel out the E-Field.