1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

E.m.f across the ends of a rod rotating in a magnetic field

1. May 22, 2008 #1
    I am trying to derive the formula for E.m.f across the ends of a rod rotating in a magnetic field when the field is perpendicular to the plane of rotation:

[tex]
    |\epsilon| = B \omega r^2
    [/tex]

using the Lorentz Formula only. Suppose, there is a rod of length 'R'. Let, 'n' be the no. of electrons per unit length. Let, at a distance 'r' from the center of rotation, there be a small length element dr. The no. of electrons in this length element is [itex]ndr[/itex]. Also, the velocity, [itex]v = r\omega[/itex] is perpendicular to the field always as it lies in the plane of rotation of the rod. Hence, the Lorentz force here is given as:

[tex]
    dF = en r\omega B dr
    [/tex]

What do i do after this? Do integrate it? This integral only talks about a 'net force' on all the electrons. How do I use it to compute the e.m.f across the two ends? Do I first compute work using [itex]\int W = \int F.dr[/itex] and the differentiate w.r.t charge. But, what charge is the Work a function of?

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2008 #2

mukundpa

Homework Helper

I think the EMF will be [tex]\frac{1}{2}[/tex] B [tex]\omega[/tex] r[tex]^{2}[/tex]

4. May 29, 2008 #3

mukundpa

Homework Helper

The magnetic force on every electron is balanced by the force due to electric field. Thus

eE = Bev = Be [tex]\omega[/tex] r

and d[tex]\xi[/tex] = Edr

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook