Why is Euler's Formula Unobvious?

• Thread starter Pjpic
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the equation e raised to i (pi) = -1 and its relationship to Euler's formula. It is argued that while the result may seem obvious after understanding Euler's formula, it is not initially obvious and requires understanding of derivatives and Taylor/Maclaurin series. It is also mentioned that some credit Euler as the first to see this relationship and that it remains unobvious for each new generation.
Pjpic
Why should it be obvious that:

e raised to i (pi) = -1

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
It follows directly from Euler's formula

[tex]\exp\left(i\theta\right) = \cos\theta + i\sin\theta[/tex]

Pjpic said:
Why should it be obvious that:

e raised to i (pi) = -1

It is not obvious at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is after you have Euler's formula!

I once actually did have a professor once say "now it is obvious that" as he was writing something on the board, stop and say "now why is that obvious?", think for a minute and then continue, "Yes, it is obvious!"

Last edited by a moderator:
HallsofIvy said:
It is after you have Euler's formula!
Hmm..why did you edit into my comment something I didn't say in this context, HallsofIvy?

Sure,if you define the complex exponential by Euler's formula, thenitis "obvious" that the result follows.

However, it still remains unobvious, prior to proving, say, De Moivre's formula, that exponentials should have anything to do with trig functions in their complex forms.

arildno said:
Hmm..why did you edit into my comment something I didn't say in this context, HallsofIvy?
I am so sorry. I meant to edit MINE and accidently clicked on the wrong button!

Sure,if you define the complex exponential by Euler's formula, then it is "obvious" that the result follows.

However, it still remains unobvious, prior to proving, say, De Moivre's formula, that exponentials should have anything to do with trig functions in their complex forms.

mgb_phys said:
It's easier to see in polar form http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Euler's_formula.svg
Remember that pi (rad) is 180deg so the arrow moves 180deg anti clockwise and points to -1 on the real axis.

I wonder if you can explain it in english. Gauss said that it would be obvious to person with a future in math (I don't even have a past in math). But it seem like 2.71 to 3.14 = about 23. How does using the imaginary number make it equal -1?

arildno said:
Sure,if you define the complex exponential by Euler's formula, then it is "obvious" that the result follows.

personally, i think that De Moivre's follows from Euler's. the more fundamental formula is Euler's.

anyway, outside of calculus, it is unobvious that exponential functions have any relationship to trig functions. but once you start thinking about derivatives, that the derivative of an exponential is another exponential (with the same "[itex]\alpha[/itex]" inside) and the derivative of a sinusoidal function is another sinusoid (with the same "[itex]\omega[/itex]" inside), that you might start to wonder that there is a connection. then, once you get to Taylor or Maclaurin Series, and you compare the series for sin() and cos() and ex, then it becomes less and less unobivious.

but someone had to have the insight for seeing it first, and Euler, whom some folks think is the "Einstein" of mathematics, was the first to see it. now, it's sort of obvious.

Pjpic said:
I wonder if you can explain it in english. Gauss said that it would be obvious to person with a future in math (I don't even have a past in math). But it seem like 2.71 to 3.14 = about 23. How does using the imaginary number make it equal -1?

even though sometimes it is inaccurate (but not this time), Wikipedia can be your friend. please check out the proofs in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euler's_formula . you need to remember that i is constant, that i2=-1, and what the derivatives of the exponential and sine and cosine functions are. then pick either of the three proofs shown.

So we can rearrange the formula to look like:
[tex] \[e^{i\pi} = i^2 \][/tex] and therefore
[tex] \[i = e^{\frac{i\pi}{2}}\] [/tex]

[tex] \[\frac{\ln i}{i} = \frac{\pi}{2}\][/tex]

rbj said:
personally, i think that De Moivre's follows from Euler's. the more fundamental formula is Euler's.

anyway, outside of calculus, it is unobvious that exponential functions have any relationship to trig functions. but once you start thinking about derivatives, that the derivative of an exponential is another exponential (with the same "[itex]\alpha[/itex]" inside) and the derivative of a sinusoidal function is another sinusoid (with the same "[itex]\omega[/itex]" inside), that you might start to wonder that there is a connection. then, once you get to Taylor or Maclaurin Series, and you compare the series for sin() and cos() and ex, then it becomes less and less unobivious.

but someone had to have the insight for seeing it first, and Euler, whom some folks think is the "Einstein" of mathematics, was the first to see it. now, it's sort of obvious.
A) It remains unobvious for every new generation.
B) That it becomes obvious as you progress in your mathematical understanding, does not lessen its initial unobviosity
C) The standard induction proof for De Moivre's formula is simple to perform, but its result is surprising. Hence, it is unobvious.

1. What does "E to i(pi) = -1" mean?

The equation "E to i(pi) = -1" is a mathematical expression that represents the relationship between the mathematical constants e, i, pi, and the number -1. It is known as Euler's identity and is considered one of the most elegant and surprising equations in mathematics.

2. How is Euler's identity derived?

Euler's identity is derived from the Maclaurin series expansion of the exponential function, which states that e^x can be represented as the sum of x^n/n! for all n from 0 to infinity. By substituting i(pi) for x, we get the expression e^(i(pi)) = 1 + (i(pi))/1! + (i(pi))^2/2! + (i(pi))^3/3! + ... Simplifying this expression leads to e^(i(pi)) = cos(pi) + i(sin(pi)), which ultimately equals -1.

3. What is the significance of Euler's identity?

Euler's identity has many significant implications in mathematics and physics. It is often hailed as a beautiful and elegant equation, and its discovery was considered a major triumph for mathematics. It also connects five of the most important constants in mathematics (e, i, pi, 1, and 0) in a single equation, highlighting the interconnectedness of different mathematical concepts. Additionally, Euler's identity has important applications in fields such as signal processing, quantum mechanics, and Fourier analysis.

4. Can Euler's identity be proven?

There are various ways to prove Euler's identity, but the most common method involves using complex analysis and the properties of the exponential and trigonometric functions. However, the concept of proof is subjective, and some may argue that certain assumptions or axioms are necessary to prove the identity. Regardless, Euler's identity is widely accepted as a fundamental mathematical truth.

5. How is Euler's identity related to complex numbers?

Euler's identity is closely related to complex numbers, which are numbers that contain both a real and an imaginary part. In the expression e^(i(pi)), the complex number i(pi) represents a rotation of pi radians on the complex plane. This rotation, when combined with the exponential function, leads to the identity e^(i(pi)) = -1. Additionally, the imaginary number i plays a crucial role in the identity, highlighting the importance of complex numbers in mathematics.