Early Retirement Question (US-based)

• Thread starter Cod
  • Start date
In summary: It's not for the faint of heart, as it involves setting up a series of equal payments that you must continue taking for at least 5 years, or until age 59.5, whichever comes later. You can't take out extra money if you have an emergency, etc. So it's a bit of a gamble, but if you can make it work, it might help you retire earlier.Also, I think the "retire at 40" goal is not realistic for most people. In my opinion, even if you are able to save a lot of money early, you should still plan to stay in the workforce at least until you are eligible for Social Security. You'll probably be glad you did.In summary, the
Cod
I've been seeing a lot of articles lately about people retiring in their 30s and 40s. Since US retirement accounts require you to be 59 1/2 years old before withdrawing (w/o penalty), what "income" do these people live off of? Withdrawals from regular savings accounts? Investments outside of retirement accounts?

Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's in savings/investments outside retirement accounts. You are limited in how much you can contribute to a retirement account, and by 40 you will not have enough to last you 40 or 50 more years, even if you could withdraw it without penalty.

Vanadium 50 said:
It's in savings/investments outside retirement accounts. You are limited in how much you can contribute to a retirement account, and by 40 you will not have enough to last you 40 or 50 more years, even if you could withdraw it without penalty.
Well, if they've inherited a lot of money or were lucky enough to make a ton of money somehow. I've had friends that were multi-millionaires before 40, they could have quit work. I don't know what all of these "lots of articles" are that the OP claims to have been seeing.

@Vanadium 50, I find it interesting people are able to live off interest and some principal from taxable accounts. I'm assuming one has to be actively involved in ETFs, individual stocks, etc. to make this work. I guess I'll just make it easy on myself and work til I'm 60.

Edit by mod: Questionable reference removed

Last edited by a moderator:
Cod said:
@Vanadium 50, I find it interesting people are able to live off interest and some principal from taxable accounts. I'm assuming one has to be actively involved in ETFs, individual stocks, etc. to make this work. I guess I'll just make it easy on myself and work til I'm 60.

Edit by mod: Questionable reference removed

Ok, I won't say what I think of that, thread closed.

[note: Evo gave me permission to add this]

Actually, I've seen some discussion of FIRE on a pretty sober financial/investment forum that I follow (https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/). It's a legitimate topic, although I'm sure there are scammers who use it to try to suck people in.

The basic ingredients for going FIRE "legitimately" seem to be some combination of:
  • get a really well-paying job and bust your butt off at it for a while (it helps if both you and your spouse can do it)
  • live a very frugal lifestyle so you can save 50% or more of your salary
  • invest your money wisely
  • when you retire, move to a place with a lower cost of living
  • not completely "retire" in the sense of playing golf all day, but switch to doing something that you enjoy and brings in a bit of money without having to cover all your expenses. For example, there's a guy who writes a blog about FIRE, under the name Mr. Money Mustache, who earns a nice bit of money from it. :oldwink:
On the Bogleheads forum, "investing wisely" generally means using broadly-based index mutual funds (in the form of either normal mutual funds, or ETFs), not day-trading or trying to find the next Apple or Facebook. Some people are into owning rental real estate, which obviously can become a job in itself, but some people prefer doing that to working for someone else.

Also, there is a way to withdraw money from tax-deferred retirement accounts before age 59.5, without penalty. The IRS calls this "Substantially Equal Periodic Payments" (SEPP). A Google search for "IRA SEPP" turns up lots of hits including an FAQ from the IRS itself.

1. What is the minimum age to retire in the US?

The minimum age to retire in the US is 62 years old. However, this age may vary depending on your birth year and the type of retirement plan you have.

2. Can I receive Social Security benefits if I retire early?

Yes, you can receive Social Security benefits if you retire early, but the amount may be reduced compared to if you had waited until full retirement age. It is important to consider the impact of early retirement on your overall retirement income.

3. Are there penalties for early withdrawal from retirement accounts?

Yes, there are penalties for early withdrawal from retirement accounts such as 401(k) plans and traditional IRAs. If you withdraw funds before age 59 ½, you may face a 10% penalty in addition to income taxes on the amount withdrawn.

4. How much should I save for early retirement?

The amount you should save for early retirement depends on your individual financial goals and needs. It is recommended to save at least 15-20% of your income for retirement, but the more you can save, the better off you will be in the long run.

5. Is it possible to retire early without a pension?

Yes, it is possible to retire early without a pension. Many people rely on a combination of savings, Social Security benefits, and other income sources such as rental properties or part-time work to fund their early retirement.