Early Grass Maturation: May 6th - Record Early?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed the unusually cold and erratic weather patterns in the month of May, causing damage to crops and gardens. The conversation also mentioned the current severe thunderstorm warning and advised people to take precautions. It was mentioned that the weather has been very bipolar and unpredictable, with extreme temperature fluctuations and frost warnings. Despite the challenges, everyone is hoping for more stable and warmer weather in the near future.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I just noticed that today, May 6th, we already have mature grass seed. Normally the farmers are collecting bales on July 4th - a couple of weeks after the grasses reaches maturity. So this is really early to be seeing mature stalks - by far I think the earliest that we've ever seen.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Here we have had record cold for the last three months. Grass isn't even growing. The spring perenials all froze and turned to mush. All of my fruit trees had their blossoms frozen, so no fruit this year. :cry:

My bushes are just starting to put out their first signs of leaves again after weeks of 18 degree weather at night.

RIGHT NOW WE ARE HAVING HAIL and VERY COLD temperatures. I have the heat on in the house, I have to wear a coat and boots when I go outside.
I still have not had a chance to plant my garden. The attempt to plant earlier according to normal planting times was a disaster, all plants are dead now.

It's COLD. IT'S WET. We've had no spring, it's still winter. AND IT'S MAY!

My current Weather Channel Warnings.

* AT 645 PM CDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING QUARTER SIZE HAIL...AND DAMAGING WINDS IN EXCESS OF 60 MPH. THIS STORM WAS LOCATED NEAR PAOLA... AND MOVING NORTHEAST AT 25 MPH.

IF YOU ARE IN THE PATH OF THIS STORM...AND I AM PREPARE IMMEDIATELY FOR LARGE HAIL AND DAMAGING WINDS. PEOPLE OUTSIDE SHOULD MOVE TO A SHELTER... PREFERABLY INSIDE A STRONG BUILDING AND AWAY FROM WINDOWS.

Last edited:
Evo said:
Here we have had record cold for the last three months. Grass isn't even growing. The spring perenials all froze and turned to mush. All of my fruit trees had their blossoms frozen, so no fruit this year. :cry:

My bushes are just starting to put out their first signs of leaves again after weeks of 18 degree weather at night.

RIGHT NOW WE ARE HAVING HAIL and VERY COLD temperatures. I have the heat on in the house, I have to wear a coat and boots when I go outside.
I still have not had a chance to plant my garden. The attempt to plant earlier according to normal planting times was a disaster, all plants are dead now.

It's COLD. IT'S WET. We've had no spring, it's still winter. AND IT'S MAY!

My current Weather Channel Warnings.

* AT 645 PM CDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING QUARTER SIZE HAIL...AND DAMAGING WINDS IN EXCESS OF 60 MPH. THIS STORM WAS LOCATED NEAR PAOLA... AND MOVING NORTHEAST AT 25 MPH.

IF YOU ARE IN THE PATH OF THIS STORM...AND I AM PREPARE IMMEDIATELY FOR LARGE HAIL AND DAMAGING WINDS. PEOPLE OUTSIDE SHOULD MOVE TO A SHELTER... PREFERABLY INSIDE A STRONG BUILDING AND AWAY FROM WINDOWS.

Wow Evo, that sucks.

Our weather has been really bipolar this year. A couple of weeks ago, some places near me had 14 inches of snow on Monday, and we were wearing shorts on Friday. Hopefully the weather stays in "spring mode" now.

We've had really bizarre weather here. Spring is more or less here, but two nights ago, we had frost warnings at higher elevations. The high temperature today didn't even get to 60°F, and in the morning it was below 40°F. Tonight we have a frost warning!

We'll likely have thunderstorms later in the week. I just hope they move through quickly - I don't need anymore heavy rain for awhile.

Evo said:
Sorry to hear about your misfortunes, Evo. Hang in there!

I think we're finally back to normal temperatures for May. Today was a bit on the cooler side, but not outside the normal range. But, yeah, we've had some strange late winter/early spring mood swings in weather. :rolleyes: I just wish it would make up its mind so I could turn the heat off and leave it off (just had to turn it on again tonight because it's cooling a bit too much this evening for my comfort).

1. What is early grass maturation?

Early grass maturation refers to the process by which grass reaches its full maturity at an earlier date than usual. This can be influenced by various environmental factors such as temperature, precipitation, and sunlight.

2. Why did the grass mature early on May 6th?

The grass may have matured early on May 6th due to a combination of factors such as warmer temperatures, increased sunlight, and optimal soil conditions. This allowed the grass to grow and mature at a faster rate than usual.

3. How does early grass maturation affect the ecosystem?

Early grass maturation can have both positive and negative effects on the ecosystem. On one hand, it can provide food and habitat for animals earlier in the season. However, it can also disrupt the balance of the ecosystem and may lead to decreased biodiversity.

4. Is early grass maturation a common occurrence?

Early grass maturation can occur from time to time, but it is not a common phenomenon. It usually happens in response to specific environmental conditions and is not a predictable event.

5. What are the potential implications of early grass maturation?

Early grass maturation can have various implications depending on the context. For example, it may affect agricultural practices and crop yields, as well as impact the foraging patterns of animals. It can also serve as an indicator of changing environmental conditions and may have implications for climate change research.