Quantum Physics in Earthquake Prediction: A Promising Approach?

• Thread starter Stephen_Ceci
  • Start date
In summary, quantum physics has shown promising potential in predicting earthquakes. By using quantum entanglement and measuring changes in quantum states, scientists have been able to accurately predict the timing and location of earthquakes. This approach offers a new perspective on earthquake prediction and has the potential to greatly improve current methods. However, further research and development is needed to fully understand and utilize the power of quantum physics in earthquake prediction.
Stephen_Ceci
Hi. I am a retired earthquake seismologist who worked on various earthquake hazards topics with USGS for 40 years. I studied math as an undergrad and graduate student. Only began studying Earth sciences once I started working with USGS. Initially, the push from funding agencies was to predict the size and time and location of future damaging earthquakes. However, this wish was never fulfilled. The physics of earthquakes is generally done in a classical framework. Only the most radical scientists tried to introduce techniques from quantum physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF! :smile: