Easier to walk upstairs, but why is it harder to walk down?

• Thread starter xoops
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the reasons why it is easier to walk down stairs than up stairs. The explanation involves the concept of biological work and how it differs when going up versus going down. The conversation also mentions the possibility of conducting an experiment to measure the difference in energy expenditure between going up and down stairs. The conversation concludes with a discussion about the role of muscles in movement and the debate about which direction is easier when walking stairs.
xoops
Hi all,

This questions is bothering me lately. Why is it easier to walk down the stairs, than up the stairs?

I'm clueless, any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's the same reason why your arms get tired when you have them extended while holding weights. You aren't doing any work on the weight (F dx = 0) but you are doing "biological work" since your heart exerts a force to push blood through your veins. That requires energy.

You do more biological work going up stairs than you do when going down.

We don't "spend" energy to brake, we simply turn our kinetic energy into thermal energy when we collide with the staircase.

I know everything finally converts to thermal energy... hmmmh, but I'm not yet convinced about non-breaking.

do you think there is a way to do some measurement by amateur? I have altimeter and thermometer on my hand watch.

xoops said:
I know everything finally converts to thermal energy... hmmmh, but I'm not yet convinced about non-breaking.

do you think there is a way to do some measurement by amateur? I have altimeter and thermometer on my hand watch.

I think you'll need more than that. You'll need at least a pulse monitor and some means to measure oxygen intake and carbon dioxide output.

Ok, I'll arrange it. Can you please explain how'd I try this experiment?

Many Thanks

..or atleast an equation to calculate it.

Manchot said:
We don't "spend" energy to brake, we simply turn our kinetic energy into thermal energy when we collide with the staircase.
You most certainly do expend energy when braking. Any time your muscles are in use, for any purpose, they require energy - and roughly the same energy regardless of whether expanding or contracting, as long as the force being exerted is the same. There are weightlifting techniques designed to maximize that and most trainers will tell you that the way you lower the weight down (slow, controlled) is more important than the way you raise it up. There are even "weightlifting" techniques where you don't even move! (isometrics)
xoops said:
Ok, I'll arrange it. Can you please explain how'd I try this experiment?
A few suggestions:

-Use a high enough staircase that it takes at least a minute to go up or down.
-Try to keep the same pace going up and down.

"Up" case:
1. Measure your heart rate
2. Go up the stairs (time yourself)
3. Measure your heart rate

[long pause between the two]

"Down" case:
1. Measure your heart rate
2. Go down the stairs (time yourself)
3. Measure your heart rate

If you work or go to school in a place with a good candidate stairwell, you may be able to work this into your day without looking too strange to people around you. Ie, when it's lunch time, measure your heart rate at your desk, then get up and walk down the stairs, stop and measure your heart rate at the bottom. After lunch, if you are walking from somewhere and your heart rate is up a little, sit at the bottom of the stairs (in a lobby or something) until it drops to normal, then walk up the stairs.

Last edited:
force = mass x acceleration
Work = force x distance

Like Russ is saying: If you descend extremely slow and controlled there will be much less difference in the upward force required.

Think of an elevator. The tension in the cable is constant while the elevator is moving in either direction (equal to mass of elevator * g) Only when the elevator begins to accelerate up or down from a stopped position does the tension change.

So you have to apply work to go up the stairs. Its the force to overcome gravity x the distance you do this for. However going downstairs you can cheat the workload. Consider just hopping down stair to stair with locked legs. No work is being done here at the muscle level. Its just the impact force with your feet bottoms that does the ‘braking’

Last edited:
That's true - because of the position of your limbs, a fair amount of the impact is absorbed via the shock of the impact. But I suspect your muscles absorb more than you realize and if you actually try top hop with a locked-knee, you'd hurt yourself.

russ_watters said:
You most certainly do expend energy when braking. Any time your muscles are in use, for any purpose, they require energy - and roughly the same energy regardless of whether expanding or contracting, as long as the force being exerted is the same.

While I agree that work is being done regardless of going up or down, I need to clarify that muscles only work in one direction. Muscles are contractile only and thus can only pull, they work in pairs to effect body motion like lifting an arm or walking up or down stairs.

the real question would be which one is easier, going up then down
or going down then up?

i would say that going up then down would be easier because the gravity is less higher up

What is the reason behind it being easier to walk upstairs than downstairs?

The main reason for this is the human body's natural biomechanics. When walking upstairs, our bodies use more muscles in our legs and hips, allowing for more power and control while climbing. On the other hand, when walking downstairs, our bodies rely mostly on our joints and tendons, which can lead to a lack of control and stability.

Does the angle of the stairs affect the ease of walking?

Yes, the angle of the stairs can have a significant impact on the ease of walking. Generally, steeper stairs require more effort and can be more challenging to climb, while shallower stairs can feel more effortless to walk on. The ideal angle for stairs is around 30 degrees, as it allows for a good balance between effort and efficiency.

Is there a difference in energy expenditure when walking upstairs and downstairs?

Yes, there is a difference in energy expenditure when walking upstairs and downstairs. When walking upstairs, we use more energy due to the increased muscle usage and gravitational pull. On the other hand, walking downstairs requires less energy, but it can still be tiring due to the strain on our joints and tendons.

Can walking upstairs and downstairs have health benefits?

Yes, walking upstairs and downstairs can have various health benefits. It is a form of cardiovascular exercise that can improve heart health and endurance. It also helps to strengthen and tone the muscles in our legs and hips, improving overall strength and balance. Additionally, going up and down stairs regularly can also burn calories and aid in weight management.

Are there any safety precautions to consider when walking upstairs and downstairs?

Yes, there are some safety precautions to keep in mind when walking upstairs and downstairs. It is essential to use the handrails, especially when going down steep or unfamiliar stairs. Additionally, be mindful of your footing and take your time to avoid slips and falls. If you have any mobility or balance issues, it is best to have someone assist you or use a mobility aid when using stairs.