Easy conceptual mechanics question

In summary, the force exerted by an object when it hits the ground after falling is dependent on the amount of time it takes to stop or bounce back and the velocity at the collision. This can be described by the equation F=ma or conservation of momentum. When comparing two objects of different physical properties, the force exerted will be different unless they both stop in the same amount of time.
MillerGenuine
Just a random question i had in mind. should be very simple to answer. Assume I had a ball of some arbitrary mass (m), and dropped this ball from an arbitrary height (h). Now assume i had stretched out this mass to look something like a pole (lets just say a telephone pole). Now let's say this telephone pole fell (as you would imagine a tree falling) from the same height(h). would they both exert the same force once they hit the ground? what other relationships can i apply to these 2 objects? (acceleration, momentum, etc...?)
An explanation with some concepts would be great..maybe F=ma or conservation of momentum can be applied? Anyways..thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
The force an object exert when hitting the ground after falling is dependent on the amount of time it took the object to stop (or bounce back) and the velocity at the collision.
[tex] F = \frac{\Delta p}{t} [/tex] where p is momentum and t is time.
For example, when a pillow falls down and hit the floor it 'compresses' and this compression takes plenty of time so the force felt isn't that high. Take an object of similar mass to a pillow, say a basketball and the force exerted by it is much higher because the basketball bounces very fast compared to the pillow, thus the force is much greater.

Answering your question, when you stretch your ball you are probably changing its physical properties and probably it will not bounce the same way and in the same time as the ball, but if you manage to make it stop once it reaches ground in the same time the ball stops once it reaches ground, then the force exerted will be equal.

What is the definition of conceptual mechanics?

Conceptual mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the fundamental principles and laws governing the motion and behavior of objects, without using complex mathematical equations.

What are some examples of conceptual mechanics?

Some examples of conceptual mechanics include understanding the concepts of velocity, acceleration, and force, as well as the laws of motion such as Newton's laws and the law of conservation of energy.

Can I use conceptual mechanics to solve real-world problems?

Yes, conceptual mechanics can be applied to real-world problems by using simplified models and principles to understand and predict the behavior of objects and systems.

Do I need to have a strong mathematical background to understand conceptual mechanics?

While a basic understanding of mathematics is helpful, it is not necessary to have a strong mathematical background to understand conceptual mechanics. It primarily involves understanding and applying fundamental principles and laws.

How can I improve my understanding of conceptual mechanics?

To improve your understanding of conceptual mechanics, it is helpful to practice solving problems and thinking critically about how objects behave in different situations. It can also be beneficial to seek out additional resources such as textbooks or online tutorials.